Cairns Practice

Derek McAllan

G'day all,

My third (and final!) pic thread for today - I promise  ;D

With the release of YBCS Cairns International on the horizon I thought I'd start getting some practice in and check out the surrounding area.  This is as far north as I've flown in Queensland and I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely scenery.  Today it's a REX real-weather flight from lovely Dunk Island back up to Cairns International, this time in my favourite one of Butch's HD repaints for the Bonanza  :D

Posted Image

Today's Flightplan, courtesy as always of PlanG, taking the inland route to check out some of the local scenery - mainly the mountains, which we have bugger all of over here on the west side of the continent.

Posted Image

In the air, feet wet, feet dry, leaving Dunk behind us.  Low cloudbase, about 2500' or so and I'm climbing for 5000.  Might not be so much to see after all  ;D

Posted Image

Oh how wrong I was... there was plenty to see.  The cloud wreathed mountains that I traversed throughout the journey were just spectacular.  Spent a lot of time gawping at the scenery and should've hit the 'V' key a time or two more.

Posted Image

Coming in behind the city of Cairns

Posted Image

...and passing it by.  Taking a long track to the north to make a big sweeping turn back down before establishing on the localiser.

Posted Image

About to make the turn out East over the ocean.

Posted Image

Crossing the coast and drooling over the nice tropical coastline.  Looks like some mangrove flats down there with all that green water flowing into the ocean.

Posted Image

Nearly on the localiser for a looooooong ILS final into runway 15.  Plenty of time to admire the sights though  ;)

Posted Image

One happy pilot, all set up on approach and descending.  Oops, I forgot to turn my landing lights on  ::)  Nearly forgot my landing gear too, which I've never done before!!  Been spending too much time in fixed gear craft lately.  If it wasn't for the buzzer coming on when I set 2 notches if flap I'd have been making a belly landing :o

I didn't bother taking photos of the airport itself, after seeing what Jarrad and the rest of the team have done with the YBCS treatment, the FTX Green version is kinda dull, even if it is waaaay better than the default FSX one.  Till next time, Enjoy!

Cheers,

Derek

My third (and final!) pic thread for today - I promise  ;D

Yeah, you be careful - you'll get the screen-shot forum Police after you.  ::)

Great series of shots. Love the cloud reflections in the water, what wave animation and water settings are you using?  :)

Thanks folks!

Yeah, you be careful - you'll get the screen-shot forum Police after you.  ::)

LOL I'll keep my eyes out for them - they'll never catch me!!  My few posts represent about a week of screenshots... I tend to accumulate a couple of dozen then I sit down and sort and process... much as I'd love to post every day I just don't have time and wouldn't spend as much time flying.  So thread spamming once a week it is :)

Great series of shots. Love the cloud reflections in the water, what wave animation and water settings are you using?  :)

I've got water set to maximum, High 2x? I think, in FSX; I'm using the Shader 3.0 mod from Bojote - essential for ATI cards really, but I'm using his old water config file, not the updated one which gives way too much sun reflection; and I'm using the FTX wave set from REX.  I've tried the new OD ones, some of them are great but they give me really nasty texture striping on the water with the Shader 3.0 mod, and I need that for it's performance benefits.

Cheers,

Derek

Enjoying the shots here, and the map is great too, an inspiration to try the same flight.

One thing about forgetting the landing light and almost forgetting to lower the gear, if you go through the checklists it improves the overall sim experience and makes things more realistic.  Small thing but one step nearer to reality.  And if you get to fly the real thing, then very useful to be in the habit of doing!!!

Landing with the wheels up results in a considerably reduced landing roll!!

Smooth landings.

Nice set of pics  8)

Oh, just a question in regards to the planning software. THe way I see it, that software is able to figure out which runway is active at the destination airport and which one isn't (represented as either green or red?)

No. Green indicates a full ILS; red indicates LOC only (ie no glideslope).

Archived