Flickering Ground Decal Textures

toby23

I don't know what I've changed but just recently I have noticed that whenever I fly with Orbx PNW or AUS, the ground decal textures, e.g. those beautiful Orbx tyre marks on the taxi/ runways and some building and car shadows, are flickering like crazy.

I don't have any problems with my FSX installation or memory or drivers, that's all fine.

I didn't notice this before PNW but I guess it has something to do with the decal textures being gmax polys slightly raised above the ground?

Mesh resolution is set to 2m for Twin Oaks.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of these awful twitching textures?

It's not the same flickering as when two objects overlap, this is a different kind of flickering.

I run FSX Acceleration with DX9 on Win 7 64 with 2560x1600 resolution, 16x Anisotropic and 8x AA.

Any ideas devs?

Another thing, since the latest Library update, I've got long grass all over one of the taxiways at Coffs Harbour.

Can't they afford gardeners there any more?

Thanks,

Toby

Yes, we concede you will get that flicker from the gmax polys being raised 0.07m off the ground. You will see that only when flying directly overhead YMML at altitudes like yours, which you normally would not do in a tubeliner since your approach paths are much lower and you don't see the flicker then. The only aircraft which technically should be in that airspace are helos, and then usually they are much lower than that, which again means you won't see the flicker.

Hi Hugh,

I finally got round to making a screenshot for you.

Sorry but I completely forget where this was, it happens everywhere though.

If you look at the decal textures, tyremarks etc, you can see how they disappear.

In game, it looks like the DX10 flickering, only thing is I don't use DX10...

I spoke to a tech guy about this and he had a hunch it might have something to do with the new Nvidia Drivers...

In which case, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is seeing this with the 258+ drivers.

I'll post again after I've tried the older drivers.

Thanks,

Toby

Posted Image

0.5 for all views.

What drivers do you use?

I have the EVGA GTX 285 and the 258.96 drivers, Win 7 64.

This problem is also not an FTX problem as I discovered on a flight yesterday.

This flickering is happening everywhere...

You guys can remove this post or if you have any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Toby

Toby ... is it flickering or shimmering?

It may sound like a moot point, but they have very different implications.

Flickering does tend to be a z-fighting "geometric" issue ... if it has appeared after a graphics driver update it seems a little more likely it may be the AA settings are a little screwy and transparent objects are shimmering.

Does it affect (for example) trees and other trans obects ... or ALL objects?

Hi Ian,

Flickering.

I got rid of the shimmering using 8xS AA and 4xS Transparency AA.

It only affects decal textures, ie textures placed on top of another object.

For example, building signs, tyremarks, car shadows.

Toby

• 2 weeks later...

Archived