System building and overclocking questions

davidv

So my parts are going to arrive today and tomorrow, before I start putting it together just wondering if more experienced builders can give me some advice....

-I bought a grounding wire (i've done plenty of computer work before without it but why risk it with a new system) - what do I attach the clamp to to groud it - the computer case?

-Any general advice for building?

-For my case fans (Coolermaster HAF 932 with 3 230mm fans and 1 140mm) - my motherboard (ASUS p6x58d) has power connections for all 4, should I use these or hook them up directly to the power supply? (I plan to just run them full speed anyways).

-I bought Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste - I've looked online and found 101 ways how to apply it to the CPU - is there one generally best way and right amount to use?

-For overclocking the processor obviously I want to get the system up and running, install windows, make sure it's stable before starting but is there a breakin period you should do first before overclocking - like a week of use etc. or is it fine to just start once things are up and running?

Grounding wire shouldn´t be necessary, I´ve made a habit to touch the case before touching anything, whether it´s in the case or on the table, that´ll remove any static you may have built up.

Advice: Test the position of all components with the mobo still on the table, I put it on the anti-static bag it comes in. Remember to apply the back plate for the cooler BEFORE you put the mainboard in. And NEVER apply power to a mobo lying on that bag, everything will fry. If you want to try bare bone run get some blocks to support and isolate the board.

Connect fans directly to psu.

Paste, I put a drop on, spread it with a plastic spatula, and spread it completely with a smooth plastic frost bag on my finger. Excess paste sticks to your finger and removes automatically. Very important to turn each screw for the heatsink equally.

Just run OCCT or what ever on your new system, after all drivers are applied, make sure it runs stable at stock settings before you venture on to the OC.

Happy building

Bjorn

g'day david

firstly congrats for your new build. although i ain't no expert at building pc's, i have done mine not long ago(which was a first for me) anyways here's  my one advise

know were all the wiring needs to go first and lay them out on the case first. get cable ties as well.

also i myself am yet to overclock but before you do, make sure you install the latest drivers, updates etc.

Goodluck. ;)

Archived