Can Win7 64bit restore a Win7 backup made under Win7 32bit?

hendrik

Hi all

I think the answer is probably yes, but I need reassurance!

I only intend to back up files and folders using the in-built Win7 backup facility, not a system image. In the event of a HD crash or whatever I will install Win 7 64bit to replace my current 32bit version. Hence the question above. Might I be better off using a third party backup application?

(I know programs etc with registry entries will have to be re-installed, including FSX).

Hendrik

hendrik

I wouldn't bother with a back-up - as veryone says 32 and 64-bit don't mix well.

What you could do is use the Windows Easy Transfer system so that you can transfer personal files, e-mail, data, files, media, and settings from your old computer to your new one. From MS: Windows Easy Transfer is a wizard that helps you transfer the data that is important to you, including user accounts, files and folders, program data files and settings, e-mail messages, settings, and contacts, photos, music, and videos, Windows settings, and Internet settings.

You still have to install all software but you do retain your settings.

Regards

PeterH

Thanks for the replies guys - I've just invested in a ITB USB HD (50 quid!) and a Win32 file backup took up around 50Gb, so I'll do a belt and braces approach and manually copy files also.

What I SHOULD have done was to have installed Win7 64bit in the first place ::)

Archived