Guest Ragtopjohnny

Orbx PNW Flights

Darrington Washington to Concrete Washington

Posted Image

Leaving the Viper Behind

Aircraft: FSD’s Cessna 337 Skymaster
Departure: 1S2 – Darrington Municipal – Darrington, Washington
Arrival: 3W5, Concrete Municipal – Concrete, Washington
Weather:Real Environment Extreme for real world weather and cloud textures.

Well my friends, we had a good time with the Viper in Darrington, but it’s time to depart this little town and head back up north to Concrete – sure it was tempting to drive there, but let’s face it – flying is half the fun too.  Plus, who would return our Cessna to the aircraft rental company? 

The upper Stillaguamish valley where Darrington is located was once settled by the local Sauk-Suiattle Tribes in the drainage of the Sauk, Suiattle and Whitechuck rivers abundant in salmon and other fish. In 1870 a group of surveyors working for the Northern Pacific railroad came to the area to chart a pass over the Cascade Mountains to the Wennatchee Valley. Although a suitable route was found, the railroad chose a route further south. Gold was discovered at Monte Cristo in the summerof 1889 and prospectors began to flood into the Cascade Mountains. A road was punched in to Monte Cristo from Sauk City on the Skagit River. The location of where Darrington is now became a half-way point on the road, then a Boomtown called "Starve Out". It was July 22, 1891 when the town filed for their own post office and named the town Darrington. The Northern Pacific railroad branch from Arlington reached Darrington on June 1, 1901. This opened up the possibilties for timber harvesting. Several sawmills started up in the area and with them small towns and communities. Over the years most of the small mills have closed or merged with the mill in town, Hampton Lumber Mill which is the largest employer in Darrington. The Northern Pacific railroad was abandoned in 1991 and the tracks were pulled in 1994 to begin construction for the Whitehorse Rails to Trails. Darrington was officially incorporated on October 15, 1945 and this was the same year that the first Town Hall was built. The new Town Hall housed the City clerk and Mayor, Fire department, library and community center with a dance floor. The following year the community came together to raise money for a new fire truck. This fundraiser was named the Timberbowl and the tradition lasted for several decades. Timber harvesting is still a very important part of the Darrington economy. Many people come out to enjoy the camping and trails of Darrington's surrounding wilderness areas, Boulder River Wilderness, Henry M Jackson Wilderness and the Glacier Peak Wilderness.

On the ramp, Darrington taxiing to the active
Posted Image

Taxiing past the main office where our Viper is sitting, awaiting the rental car company to come and pick it up – hope no one takes it for a spin like in  “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off†with the Ferrari
Posted Image

A better look at the Viper with a Robinson 22 training helicopter near by
Posted Image

Take Off Roll
Posted Image

Climbing out – the Viper is shrinking into the distance airport workers seem to be peering through the window drooling over it right about now I bet…
Posted Image

Gear up – Whitehorse Mountain in back
Posted Image

Circling Darrington – what a nice, peaceful little town…
Posted Image

View from the flight deck
Posted Image

Darrington, Washington as a whole
Posted Image

Darrington and Whitehorse Mountain
Posted Image

View of the Sauk River Valley
Posted Image

Sauk River and Mt. Baker in the distance
Posted Image

Heading towards Concrete
Posted Image

Starting our descent to Concrete Municipal
Posted Image

Concrete from the Flight Deck
Posted Image

Concrete, Washington.  On approach crossing S. Dllard Ave,  RT. 20,  Main Street, and North Superior Ave.
Posted Image

A scenic view of Mount Baker and Mount Shuksan
Posted Image

Concrete Municipal
Posted Image

“Downtown†Concrete, with Main Street below us
Posted Image

Concrete has had its share of interesting characters—some famous, and some only locally known.
Lady entrepreneurs and telephone pioneers

Circling the airport, Mt. Baker is the prominent land mark in the area
Posted Image

The scenery is splendid – I always thought only Tileproxy looked this good…Turning Crosswind
Posted Image

Turning Upwind
Posted Image

The whole of Concrete below us, with the Fish Dam on the Skagit
Posted Image

Turning Final from the Flight Deck
Posted Image

Gear coming down
Posted Image

Lined up, on final
Posted Image

Almost there….
Posted Image

Almost…
Posted Image

Touchdown!
Posted Image

Turning off the runway – what a view!
Posted Image

Taxiing – hope this is right, being on the grass, no paved taxi ways
Posted Image

Backing into our spot…
Posted Image

Shut down, engines off…..Welcome to Concrete
Posted Image

Now that I’m here, I think – should I have waited for the rental company to come and pick up the Viper before I left Darrington?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm……..makes me wonder….

Have a good one all!  I’ll be exploring more areas around Concrete by road in another post…be back soon!

John Thuot II
A+/Network+

Archived