Socket 775 can Gigabyte me!

TenBlade

Yes, it´s final! After about 9 months of almost endless tweaking and overclocking, my otherwise very nice Striker II Extreme, and the socket that has served me so long, must go. I´ve just placed an order for my first socket 1366 board, the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5, and I´m staying with Mushkin Redline and getting 6 gigs of those. Just can´t sit around compromising anymore. I want a smooth flight with high details, high frames, and big airports, and extreme environment, and...stuff.

I´ve put my board, cpu and ram up for sale on the net as an overclocked package, and I´m almost a bit sad to let it go. I´ve been through a lot with that board, it´s dragged me through some of the farthest outreaches of overclocking. And I´m looking forward to a jump from Asus to Gigabyte, can only be easier to overclock the UD5 than the Striker.

I´m just holding back on the CPU. I´m awaiting the announced price developments on the i7 950, may have to order it from UK if vendors here don´t follow suit. If the 930 however drops as well, I may just take that. I don´t suppose there´s much difference between the two after overclock?!

Bjorn

Ordered yesterday, delivered today! Wow, that´s speedy service. Though, I´m not in a hurry. Won´t get the cpu until next pay-day. And I´ve found, that the 950 will be the same price as the 930 is today. So, something to look forward to.

Must say, they´re not exactly packing abundant masses of extra hardware. 4 sata-wires, one IDE-cable, dual- and tri-SLI bridges, that´s it!?! Not even a USB bracket (not that I´m in shortage of USB ports, but I reserve my right to complain about it ::)), on the box there´s a diagram saying ON/OFF Charge, and it shows an iPhone plugged to a usb that seems to have it´s own little power button. But there´s nothing like that in the box, I´ll have to study the manual to see what that´s all about. But in the end it´s the performance that counts, and I´ll keep you posted on my build.

Here´s a few shots of the package.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The board feels heavier that usual, probably due to extra thick layers of copper in the PCB.

Posted Image Posted Image

Very tight fit between the cooling pipe and the PCIEX1 slot, wonder what fits in there...

Big NB passive cooler...

...and even bigger, it seems, SB cooler. The whole board is graffiti´d with text, even in the USB-sockets

B

Found a hardware site and put my current mobo, cpu and ram up for sale yesterday morning, and last night it was all sold! Had it on another e-bay like website for some time now, with no luck. But, dang, bids were flying yesterday :D Some where trying to rip me off, held against it and got proper bids. In a fit of gratitude and joy of having had a good sale of the cpu and ram, I let the board off cheaper than initially planned. The buyer was a bidder on the other site, who directed my attention to that particular site. So, I think he earned it ;) And being realistic about it, I probably set my price on the board too high to begin with.

Now, what´s that story for? Two of the trades are going down tonight. I´m hoping none of the buyers back out, and if I´m lucky I´ll have my order set at the end of the week (fingers crossed ::)). And I´ll start the build today ;).

Bjorn

CPU is in the mail 8) Machine is eagerly awaiting the final component. Ram is already in place, couldn´t wait ::).

Should I just go with the on-board soundcard? It´s 7.1 like my speaker system. Just heard so many complaints about Creative soundcards, and I don´t want to clutter my system with obsolete components if on-board is good enough.

B

Archived