One way to stop stutters

Tailgunner

I had tried every tweak in the book, without any real success. Couldn't afford the Big Tweak of i7 and all the  associated expenses. So I deleted/rebuilt the FSX cfg. and replaced my faithful old E6850 with a quad Q9650.  Overclocking is beyond me, but the stock quad has produced a huge overall gain. No more stutters; vastly improved framerate; really superb graphics; much faster loading of sim and textures; even a reinvigorated PC. Magic!

With everythig working so well, henceforth I stick to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. But out of curiosity, is there these days any real merit in the Affinity Mask tweak for quads?  It's still widely touted on the web,  yet as far back as 2007 Phil Taylor was blogging: "only for when there are problems."

I found my sim running better. The AM 14 will let FSX run on CORE1, CORE2 and CORE3 and fibers will still run on CORE0

The AM 12 still lets fibers run on CORE0 and reduces FSX to CORE2 and 3 as far as I recall. I seem to get less thread collisions.

There´s a lenghty explaination here http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/64-the-bp0-conclusions/ Just on a side note, Bojote a.k.a. Jesus Altuve uses AM=12, that´s why I tried it.

Bjorn

Archived