Is this unusual?........

ricky76

Today, I went through my WD passport usb drive I use for FSX toy back-ups. After I confirmed that all my toys were on the drive, I deleted ALL the D/L files from my downloads folder on my pc. 4.6gb worth gone. So I figured that I should defrag since it has been a few weeks since the last. I started it when I went to bed, and it was still going when I woke up (7hrs) so I let it run while I was at work. I got home after 6 hours (short day YAY) and it's STILL running!!!! Is this normal? I admit, I;m using the vista64 stock defrag :-[

Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

Probably not normal, although some defraggers seem to take forever. Especially if you have really badly fragmented drives with huge files on them and niot much memory. I remember the days of 24 hour defrags on Win 98, and that was with maybe a 40Gb hard drive :P

Get a decent defragger and it will be much faster, barring any problems with the drive itself.

Plenty of free ones are ok, or pay a little for premium defraggers with the added extras that actually work.

Yeah that's what I thought :( I should have got on the frag program a while ago. 

Thanks alain! I will have a look.

Dean, do you have one at the store you would suggest? I kind of tend to steer away from freeware utilities, spyware, ad's ect.....

Thanks guys!!! Greatly apreciated!

Yeah that's what I thought :( I should have got on the frag program a while ago. 

Thanks alain! I will have a look.

Dean, do you have one at the store you would suggest? I kind of tend to steer away from freeware utilities, spyware, ad's ect.....

Thanks guys!!! Greatly apreciated!

The free one I gave you is the one I've been using for 3 years without problems....it is almost as good as a paying one if you ask me.

Go for O & O defrag if you can, otherwise I have always relied on the freeware defragger "smartdefrag", works a treat.  http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

That o&o gets  a great review eh? I may go for it!!! thanks Dale!!!

alain, Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it works great but I have had a huge set of problems with freeware utilities. The last time I used a freeware disk cleaner, I had to re-install windows :'( I apreciate the advice though!!!

Archived