comparing a i7950,verses a i7980 results.

timmo32

hello to all my fellow simmers,well finally got the new i7980x chip fired up,and the results between a i7950,to a i7980x,is a slightly clearer picture and very smooth in frames,well with frames gain i would say there is not a really big increase at all,i get an extra 3-5 from melbourne,tho which im more then happy about,not forgeting im running everything completely stock,for now having past bad expirences in overclocking,well for the cost of this new chip i would say honestly to my simming friends it would not be worth spending all that money on it,tho im lucky i paid $200 less having family who work for a pc parts shop,but saying that this chip has alot of potiental for overclocking as already seen in this forum,but even running my sim stock i have most of the sliders in fsx maxed and it handles it fine,ive also upgraded the ram to 2000mhz,the only tweak i had to install in the fsx config file is the highmemory fix,tweak to stop all the missing textures,any ways as i said my rig is completly stock and im sure if set up correct i will get alot more performance from this new chip,well will keep you up to date ,i only got it back late last night so i havent even played it to its full potiental yet but had to let you guys know on just some quick results,will keep you posted takecare. :)

Glad you are happy with this it is after all the bees knees, The price here in blighty is still very high but come down a little it now costs around £760 not so long ago the price was around the £800 mark still too expensive for Emmsie though.

cheers

Iain

Hi Timmo.

One more question .

Honestly is it really worth the 1000 euros(1200dollars) over a good overclokked I7 950.

Is the perfomance so spectacular worth its money ;D

This is what i like to know sommethimes im also looking at the I7 980X.

And your the only guy ho know the anwers.

You already had a high end I7 before you made the swich.

Grtz

hello brian running a stock i7980,is no different to runnng a stock i7950,the good thing about the 980 is is it has good overclocking potiental,tho im not ready for that yet having suffered a bad overclock in the past,tho the 980x runs 6 cores instead of the 950 running 4 cores,my surgestion is if you dont plan on overclocking a i7980,stick with a i7920 or even a 950,the only thing ive notice with the i7980x is it is smoother in picture,but maybe 1 or 4 frames gained running everthing completely stock,ram,gaming card,fsx config file is stock,spending that extra bit of money on the i7980x,if you plan on not to overclock it my opinion would be not to buy the 980x yet,but if you plan on overclocking my guess would be buy it, but im sure you can get a i7950 to 4.2gigs quiet easy tho,im lucky i paid less then the retail price of this 980 chip,im sure it has lots of potiental tho,but i dont have the guts to play with it yet ;D this chip being new to the market of us pc people im sure someone will have the guts to go maxium overclock with this new chip ;D my opinon to you brian is wait for the price to come down first,hope that helps mate,takecare.if you have anymore questions mate please ask :)

Hello Timmo.

Thanks for the info

I like overclocking its like a sort of addiction. ;D

I heard the 980 is easily overclockable without problems to 4.5ghz.

Anyway the price have to drop.

And i mean a lot then i think i will buy one.

But a pricedrop on there flagship i dont think it will happen soon. :(

And the sad news is the new cpu sanybridge will be impossible to overclock.

This is what a have read in a artikle.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-cougar-point-patsburg,10882.html

Grtz

haha ;D very true brian,when overclocking is  going to give you more performance,it is hard not to get addictive ;D,for years we search for that performance boost in fsx,but for me its all about fsx being reliable,and not having to put up with crashes,freezing,and bsod, :)but im not going to say that i wont overclock my system in the future tho,and yes wait for the price of this chip to drop first ,best advice i can give mate. ;)

Hello Timmo.

Thanks for the info

I like overclocking its like a sort of addiction. ;D

I heard the 980 is easily overclockable without problems to 4.5ghz.

Anyway the price have to drop.

And i mean a lot then i think i will buy one.

But a pricedrop on there flagship i dont think it will happen soon. :(

And the sad news is the new cpu sanybridge will be impossible to overclock.

This is what a have read in a artikle.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-cougar-point-patsburg,10882.html

Grtz

You will also need a new motherboard for this Sandy Bridge....

Archived