[RESOLVED: reapplied tweaks] AU GOLD strange blurries all the time

phil t

Blue scenery ion my Sim is crisp and well behaved.  A wonderful achievement by the guys at Orbx and would be cheap at twice the price.  Gold, however,  is irritating the  @#%@ out of me.  Swapping on the fly between the two is like chalk and cheese.  Blue good, Gold bad.  Haven't made it to Brisbane yet from Gold Coast regardless of what airplane I fly.  Sixty seconds and the scenery starts disolving.  Besides, my home area of the Gold Coast hinterland (Mudgeeraba) doesn't have any landclass files other than bush, (thousands of us folk live here), pity that.  Also, the 'burbs around the canals are not much better than FS9Voz, if as good.  Maybe I was expecting too much after Blue.   Don't get me wrong,  I think FTX is FANTASTIC, but....   So, anyone any ideas?  All the tweaks done + upgrades etc.  Frame rates OK (set unlimited or whatever)   HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

System:   2.66mhz intel dual core - 2 gig ram - ATI Gigabyte HD2600XT 256mb - XP home OS. 

FS:  FSX SP1   (want ported FS9 aircraft for now.   works well for me and I have read Koorby's comments about autogen trees)

Order #  FSS0006008 Gold

FSS0004522 Blue

Thanks for reply Bazzam.  Yep, all tweaks done, VSX not installed. Still might try excluding  sim from virus checker but I doubt that is the problem judging from how well Blue runs and looks.  My Gold is the DVD version not downloaded by the way.  Tried shutting down stuff with Alacrity PC and also FSAutostart.  Not much difference if at all.  Maybe I'll just avoid Cooley for a while.  Still hoping for a clue or two.

cheers Phil T.

G'day Phil,

It would be worth turning your autogen off to see if the extra density of houses and trees in the area are causing a problem. If the textures then appear crisp, just step your autogen settings up a notch at a time to see when the problem comes back.

Unfortunately your video card will be restricting the amount of textures it can accept and process. I think the article at Toms Hardware is another example towards proving that FSX utilises large amounts of video card ram for it's textures...

AOK          Thanks for your reply I will check the article.  I'm aware my video card is very marginal  so maybe it gets an upgrade before the CPU.  In the meantime I started with the basics  in FSX cfg.  Several of the recommended changes and additions had just gone  somehow.(????)   End result is Gold now runs much as it should.    So, here I sit with egg on my face.  Anyway, the big question for me remains as to why Blue worked fine and yet Gold didn't ?  (If anyone mentions State of Origin I'm coming for them with my Hurricane MkII "tin opener".)

Until my next winge.... cheers  Philip T.

Archived