FS Passengers - Anybody else have problems getting it to work?

steve31000

A few days ago I downloaded the demo of FS Passengers X, liked what I saw and decided to purchase it. I had read that it's best to  run in admin mode which I hadn't done initially so after  purchasing, I decided to uninstall FS Passengers and then reinstall it running in admin mode. Having reinstalled, then, I go to load up FSX and I don't get any FS Passengers start-up screen or anything. Suprised at this, I loaded up a flight to find that FS Passengers is no longer included in my menu bar. So I uninstall, then reinstall about 5 times or so and nothing - it still doesn't work. So I could play the demo but now after purchasing and reinstalling I can't use it at all.

Has anybody had similar experiences with FS Passengers and know how to fix this issue? I'm running Windows 7 and have UAC turned off and running/installing everything as the admin. I have asked for help on the FSP forums but from what I can see there are a ton of people with the similar problems and very little support. When I think how I could have spent £30 on more Orbx goodies. Ouch!

Cheers

Steve

Could be one of those things that you have to manually delete the config entry in the FSX CONFIG file, sometimes fsx doesn't like a particular order that other add-ons are listed in the config. I would back-up the CONFIG first and try to delete the FSpassenger entry, and then if that doesn't work delete the whole CONFIG and start up FSX so that it can rebuild the CONFIG on its own. I would start there first and see what happens.

Another thing to try is (if you have other add-ons that appear in the addon drop down menu in FSX) is uninstall all of them and then start FSX and load the default free flight. Then close FSX and try to reinstall FSpassenger only and see if that will let you select it from the 'addon drop down' menu in FSX.

There is no need to uninstall anything. Just make sure that you have this entry in the dll.xml:

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FsPassengersX</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Path>FsPassengers\bin\fspassengersx.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

Under Windows 7 You can find the dll.xml file in "C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\" and you can simply view and edit it with a text editor like Notepad. I don't remember where this file was located on WinXP but it probably is something similar.

I tried editing the dll.xml file as suggested and indeed these lines were not present but still, it's not working. I also tried rebuilding my .cfg and again no effect. I have downloaded the program from both the FSP site and the flightsim store and neither work.

It is strange that as Jigsaw suggested that the dll.xml file did not include the lines -

<Launch.Addon>

</Launch.Addon>

After adding them I thought I'd see a change but I haven't. Not sure what to do next.

Could be that the actual dll module isn't there or could be you the fs9 module instead of the FSX one. All these problems have occurred before so you need to check and see if it there first :)

There is a dll present in the fs passengers folder that is within the main FSX folder. I have definitely installed the FSX version of FSP. I am running Ultimate Traffic 2 and EZCA as add-ons that appear in the drop down menu. The oddest part of this whole experience is that I had the demo working fine on Sunday until I uninstalled it. I can't think of how it could work one day and then not the next following reinstallation.

Strange... very strange. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

You need to have it true instead of false.

No, because it is an "Disabled" switch. If you set "Disabled" to "True" then the module is disabled. The module is enabled when the "Disabled" switch is set to "False". It's weird, I know,  but that's how ACES coded it.

[Yoda]Confusing the mind of a programmer is, hmmmm?[/Yoda]  ;D

This has happened to me before but it was with instant scenery, I did read somewhere along time ago it was the order in which the addons were added to the config, I know it doesn't make sense but when I uninstalled the other addons cleaned the config and reinstalled just instant scenery it worked, its worth a try if you back everything up. The only other thing to do is to uninstall FSpassenger and clean the registry and make sure nothing is left inside FSX root folder, the only way to fix this is to get everything back to how it was before installing the demo I'm afraid

The only other thing to do is to uninstall FSpassenger and clean the registry and make sure nothing is left inside FSX root folder, the only way to fix this is to get everything back to how it was before installing the demo I'm afraid

I just cleaned the registry following an uninstall of FSP and still no joy. I have a feeling that it is something to do with changes the program may have made to the FSX folder that contains the .cfg - "C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\"

I have a bad feeling about this now that if I want to use FS Passengers, I'm going to have to uninstall FSX in its entirety. Painful.

Its where the FSX config lives, some programs create a backup of the config file before installing itself just in case you need to get things back to how it was something like 'FSXGo Backup FSX.cfg' or 'FSX_CFG_Before_MyTraffic 2010_was_installed.cfg' or a config like 'config.bak' I wouldnt uninstall FSX just yet, do you have a program like paragon or acronis to back up the fsx drive?

Have you tried windowed mode and not full screen mode? A few people have had issues with the FSpassenger addon menu not appearing because of some driver and card issues, stab in the dark I know...

Maybe you could try installing the demo again as I thought the demo was the full version anyway and then in the menu bar you register it with the serial code etc. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago and just put the serial code into the demo version and had no problems.

Could try that I suppose before going down the whole road of reinstall and all.

Cheers

Craig

Hope you are getting things sorted Steve, Ive been following your discussions elsewhere and I do have to sympathize as I have been on the sticky end of the software battle, let us know how you get on with installing it  :) 

I tried all the things that you guys suggested but after much hair pulling, I am out of ideas. I get the feeling that if I reinstall windows (in order to clear everything out that might be causing a conflict) then FSP will probably work but to do that would take many hours of reinstalling/reactivating all my add-ons. Also I have found a sweet spot for fps with my current setup which I am reluctant to loose by reinstalling.

Yes, the attitude of one particular 'helper' over on their forums I found to be particularly unpleasant as you may have read ::). It makes me really appreciate the fantastic support and friendliness of the Orbx forums where people genuinely help each other and where developers are always on hand to help customers :).

Cheers,

Steve

Hi again Steve, if you can tell me the exact steps from the start of installing the demo and right up to the point of trying to install the software again with any exception errors displayed and if it uses the standard windows install shield, I'll try and 'debug' and advise where I can, I need to know what addons you have installed that appear in the 'addon menu' drop down inside of FSX, any service packs installed on your OS and if you can install any other software at the moment that uses the Windows Install Method.  :) 

Kwiss, the exact steps of installing the demo are as follows. FSP seems to use the standard windows install method (that I'm aware of). I get no exception errors. Basically when I install, I go through the usual install screens and I click next and it finds the currect folder containing FSX on drive D in my case.

My current windows 7 build is: 7600.16539.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909

The addons I'm running that appear in the drop down add-on menu are Ultimate Traffic 2 and EZCA Camera add-on.

My setup log is as follows:

-FsPassengers setup ver. Dec 16 2008 started: 11.08.2010 - 22:07

-Search if FsX is running

-OK FsX is not running

-Attempting to find FsX directory.

-Checking 64 byte registry

-FsX Directory found: D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

-Checking FsX path, searching this file: D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\dialogs\dlgabout.spb

-FsX found ok

-Detecting VISTA and FsPassengers install path...

-DOH! VISTA detected: 6

-FsPassengers will be installed in: D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FsPassengers

-Check free space

-Free space Total Mb available: 186445

-Check needed space

-Needed space: 116

-This is a fresh install, no previous version of FsPX detected.

-Start of file copy...

-Attempting to find dll.xml file

-Found application data path, searching fsx.cfg C:\Users

-fsx.cfg found, writing dll.xml in: C:\Users\Stephen and Gosia\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml

-Start of dll.xml parsing----------------------------

-dll.xml, Nbr of addons found: 8

-dll.xml : ' Addon Manager'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml : ' Object Placement Tool'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml : ' Traffic Toolbox'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml : ' Visual Effects Tool'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml : ' FS Recorder'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml : ' FSUIPC 4'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml : ' Captain Sim 727 Menu'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml : ' Captain Sim 767 Menu'  Xml ok.

-dll.xml written ok

-End of dll.xml parsing----------------------------

-Extracting file to: D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FsPassengers

-Attempting to write Config file 'FsPassengers\bin\FsXPath.cfg'

-Config file 'FsPassengers\bin\FsXPath.cfg' written ok

-Creating shortcut in start menu...

-Install completed with success

-Writting this log in FsPassengers folder...

Cheers

Steve

Kwiss, I just got it working. I uninstalled FSPUIC and then reinstalled it and hey presto. Unfortunately FSX crashes unless I quit out of EZCA and start it seperately once FSX has opened. After starting up a flight and flying for a few minutes FSX then crashed when I clicked on a menu option. Well, at least I got it working somehow for now but I think this is one bug ridden program. Thanks to you all for your help especially Kwiss for all the work you did to try and help me get it working.

Steve

No problem I'm in the middle of putting together what to manually delete in the registry and so on just in case you ever need to manually remove it as regards to the crash on the menu

You may get the menu bar crash, but an easy fix is here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=17264.0

That was some advice that Tim gave me  :)

How to Manually remove FsPassengers Windows 7 X64

Always EXPORT your Registry and back up FSX Config and FSX dll first!

Inside FSX dll

Delete:

<Launch.Addon>

Inside FSX config delete:

Z:\FSX7\FsPassengers\bin\fspassengersx.dll.auccnhnelziueckuktnczlwcbczicerzwcwokket=1

FSX ROOT FOLDER

Delete 'FsPassengers' Folder

Registry

Find in the registry by clicking on these folders in sequence

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software

Microsoft

Windows

Current Version

Explorer

Start Page

New Shortcuts

Inside the Shortcut Folder find this line and delete it:

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FsPassengersX\Tools\Aircraft Price & Rank Browser.lnk

Find in the registry by clicking on these folders in sequence

HKEY_USERS

S-1-5-21-15250858-3499874950-1699940504-1001

Software

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Explorer

StartPage

NewShortcuts

Inside the Shortcut Folder find this lines and delete them:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FsPassengersX\Tools\Aircraft Price & Rank Browser.lnk

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FsPassengersX\Tools\Language editor.lnk

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FsPassengersX\Tools\Map editor.lnk

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FsPassengersX\Tools\Payload_Editor.lnk

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FsPassengersX\Tools\Voice pack creator.lnk

Archived