Getting closer to the GTX 485....

Hi Alain.

Its only a GTX480 with 512 shaders enabled instead of 480 ;D

Its to get better use of the Guda engine .

Only 5 % ingrease ???

I think its even not worth the wait.

It wont be a big difference in FSX .

If you take the heavy fps games its only a difference of 2 -3 fps.over the GTX480

Grtz

Hi Alain.

Only 5 % ingrease ???

If you take the heavy fps games its only a difference of 2 -3 fps.over the GTX480

Grtz

Yea! I may buy the 480 under Evga the step up program and replace it when the 485 come out....

Hi Alain.

Only 5 % ingrease ???

Grtz

Yea! I may buy the 480 under Evga the step up program and replace it when the 485 come out....

I used the EVGA step-up program to trade my EVGA 470 GTX for the 480 GTX. They are a class act, those EVGA guys! Insofar as having the extra 32 shaders, I am not so sure they would make much difference anyway. I have my 480 GTX seriously overclocked without stability issues, maintaining fairly close to 60 FPS lock in FSX, no matter where I am flying.

Kind regards,

FSX is shader hungry, I understand it may be only 5 >10 >or 15% more in perf.  (depending of the core clock) but since I'm building a new rig I want the best available hardware now ...... the i7 990x will be out in September if we belive this article.... 

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/8/6/new-intel-core-i7-990x-extreme-coming-in-september.aspx

so if the 485 arrive in September I will be good to go if not I'll get the 480 and wait to upgrade true Evga, I'll keep the GTX 285 for PhysX..... :o

Alain 15% more in performance ;D

Over an OCt 480GTX

Dreams can be beautiful.

Dream on ;D

Will it be worth the extra $

Maybe you be the first to know.And let us know.

Extra power consumption 2x8 powerconnecters.

Is it al worth it for the few extra FPS ???

For me not but i have the same rig as Steven and happy  ;Dwith FSX.

Grtz

Alain 15% more in performance ;D

Over an OCt 480GTX

Dreams can be beautiful.

Dream on ;D

Will it be worth the extra $

Maybe you be the first to know.And let us know.

Extra power consumption 2x8 powerconnecters.

Is it al worth it for the few extra FPS ???

For me not but i have the same rig as Steven and happy  ;Dwith FSX.

Grtz

It is not impossible and I think it will be possible, of course I will have tooverclock the card like any other card, it's like the i7 990x at 3.46GHz to start with so it will reach 4.5GHz on air easy, same with the 485...let say they release it at 740MHz the chance of a bigger overclocking than the 480 is there BUT like you said it will be a try and see, anyway 512 shader is better than 480... ;)

Alain.

I see you like overclocking ;D

Go watercooling.

Somme are saying its ok on air??I had air cooling in the past good quality ones.

And i can tell you those things get hot on air even on a quality aircoolers.

If you want your expensive hardware to have a bit of a longer lifespan keep them as cool as possible. ;D

Grtz

Alain,

I'm with everyone else here. I think you are waiting for a card that will yield little to no performance increase in FSX.

Start now! If you wait for faster hardware it might never come. FSX is CPU hungry. It will be a few more years before we will see FS9's performance in FSX.

Plus, it looks developers are pushing our systems to their limit. This process might never end.

I will probably get the GTX 480 as soon as the i7 990x hit the market, as far as water cooling I was thinking about doing so for the whole rig but after looking for the best water cooling solution (cause I always go with the best when I update) it will cost me like $1,200.00  + for a very good setup, here is an example of a water pump use for aquarium but GREAT for a PC cooling system....  http://www.aquariumsupplystore.com/Productspages/iwaki_aquarium_pump.htm

So between air at $100.00 and water at $1,200.00 for an overclock of 0.3GHz < I think I'll stay with air cause the NH-14 is as good as a good water cooling setup and beat a lot of them.

HAHAHAh after seeing the water pump my wife just told me to go to the hardware store to get some 2 1/2" pipe  and conect the whole freeking rig to the pool......hahahah she's crazy.

If you wait for the 490, before its release they will be talking about a 495 and then a 499. I suppose you will be waiting for them ad infinitum. At least it's not costing you any money. Of course you will never have a top range computer either.

The best time to buy is always today.

Cooling. It is my opinion that water cooling is wasted effort. Get a good case and a -Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU cooler dual 120mm LED fans . My computer runs much cooler than it ever did with water cooling.

I have a 980 cpu, overclocked to 4.2 It runs perfectly smooth and cool. An overclock above 4.2 is dangerous. It may work, but for how long?

Jack

Cooling. It is my opinion that water cooling is wasted effort. Get a good case and a -Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU cooler dual 120mm LED fans. My computer runs much cooler than it ever did with water cooling.

Jack

You bet...and it's so pretty!!  ;D

Posted Image

Kind regards,

Jack, like I always said..."If you can't afford to overclock don't"...

Here is my CPU cooler, the best air cooling $$$ can buy.

Posted Image

I don't know what you had before as far as water cooling but a good custom water cooling setup will out perform any air cooling, again I'm talking about a custom water cooling system.

If you wait for the 490, before its release they will be talking about a 495 and then a 499. I suppose you will be waiting for them ad infinitum. At least it's not costing you any money. Of course you will never have a top range computer either.

Yep indeed... I was thinking about to wait for the 485 as well - but hey, what would i have missed...

The question remains if those 512 shaders can clock as high, btw.

Sorry Jack.

But my custom water cooling outperforms every air cooling.

I know a have a antec 900 case with 7 high quality vents .And a noctua cpu cooler.

Before i installed water cooling.

Al the vents where on high settings and it was like a 747  taking of beside me.

Now i have a much cooler pc and a lot Less noise.

And i mean a lot ;D

Grtz

Archived