Griffon

alan2

The C.R.A.P.S.museum is extending , a military aircraft division, but we are having trouble with the acronym - madcraps. The commitee is out on

this for the time being.

signed ..curator, Civil Aircraft Preservation Society 

................................................................................

Our first exhibit of the new division.

The Nord Griffon featured a dual turbojet-ramjet powerplant, with the turbojet enabling unassisted take-offs (ramjets cannot produce thrust at

zero airspeed and thus cannot move an aircraft from a standstill) and the ramjet producing extra thrust at airspeeds above 1,000 km/h (600 mph).

Configuration was a delta wing with canards and a tail without an aileron. With Major André Turcat at the controls, the Griffon reached a

top speed of Mach 2.19 (2,330 km/h or 1,450 mph) in 1958, thus proving the soundness of the basic design. But the aircraft met several

technical difficulties, such as heating, because the aircraft did not yet use special materials such as Inconel or titanium. The ramjet worked

perfectly at high speed, but was hard to control at mid-speed.

For those reasons, the Griffon program was cancelled to the benefit of Dassault Aviation's Mirage III. This unique aircraft is on display in

the French Air and Space Museum, in Le Bourget, near Paris.

Shots from Avalon Vic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanx Alan,

That was very informative.

I like a bit of history in our mix of screenshots.

The question is, how do I join this crap?

Do you take barter card or can I send you a post dated cheque?

Frank

Guest Northwest Pilot

Interesting! Nice shots and thanks for briefly explaining the history behind this aircraft. I've never seen this one before.

Thanks for the additional photo Bug.

Frank, joining is easy. We accept anything except insults and blows. Particularly fond of cash ( largre amounts ,new notes in  brown paper bags)

Archived