To anyone with Carenado's Mooney M20J

Russ White

I have just bought the M20J from carenado and find it a brilliant GA aircraft, especially for the slow and low over FTX. However, what I normally do with all aircraft is modify the virtual cockpit textures to increase resolution and detail etc to suit my personal taste. Normally this is easy enough using photoshop and the NVIDIA DDS format plug-in. BUT, this carenado mooney has all it’s textures in bmp format, and most of them I can’t open.

I just wanted to know from anyone else who has this aircraft, if you go into your carenado mooney folder in your FSX airplanes directory and look in one of the four texture folders, can you see all the textures if you double click them?

As for me, I can only see some of them, the others say “unable to preview due to a disk error†even though they all show up when flying around in the simulator no problem.

E.G in the “texture†folder I can open textures VC1.bmp to VC4.bmp but cant open VC5.bmp

In the “texture.brownâ€, “texture.red†and “texture.red sky blue†folders I cant open any VC bmp files! But in FSX all the textures show up fine.

Is this a problem with my installation or is it the same for you guys? If so why cant some of these texture bmp files be opened? I have e-mailed carenado regarding this but as yet have had no reply!

Any help appreciated

Russ.

Guest Private-Cowboy

Those bmps are not 32bit therefor photoshop and the likes will nop open it. They already use DXT5 compression. I converted them to DDS (for a minimal gain in fps) using the image tool from the SDK. DXTBMP will also do it. Those two tools will also allow you to set 32bit image format so you can edit them in any image editing tool, save em, and convert em back to DXT5 DDS.

I hope you understand what I just wrote and it makes some sense to you.

Thanks for your response Private Cowboy, yeah that makes sense, i will give it a go when i get back from work! I figured that it had to be a format issue due to there not being a problem in the simulator, seems strange that they would make some of the textures 32bit and some DXT5!

Anyway thanks for your prompt reply.

Russ.

"DXTBmp" works a treat and is lightweight and cheap. I have been using it to play with Carenao Mooney external paints with success - And I'm a pretty simple bloke.

Be great to see your cockpit mods/enhanements when they're done.

I can get you some real life M20J cockpit pics if you would like any for inspiration (from some pretty beat up looking aircraft)

Thanks to you both for your input, DXTBMP works a treat, a really flexible utility.

Squeeker....i could do with some M20J cockpit shots if you have them, that would be really helpfull. Especially if you have good shots of the flight yokes front on, those things are difficult to get usable shots of. I find the standard carenado yokes a bit too compressed with visible colour blocking. Not a jab at carenado in any way as i know they have to maintain fps friendly interiors, and they do a fantastic job!

Cheers guys,

Russ.

Hey there Russ.

I have uploaded the few mooney cockpit photos that I have sitting on my hard drive. None of them were taken with the intention of doing anything like cockpit painting etc - they're really just happy snaps. But now that I have a brief I can get out at lunch and take a bunch of piccies. So let me know specifically what shots will make life the easiest for you.

Also these shots are from a variety of different aircraft so there's not much consistency of layout/equpiment/colours etc.

The photobucket site where these are will only allow a max of 1mb per picture, so if you would like and in better size/res then just send me a pm and i'll be happy to email them.

The url is: http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/squeeker55/mooney%20cockpits%201/

Will take lotsa photos tomorrow and upload them in the evening..

Posted Image

Cheers

Steve.

Steve,

I have never come across anyone so willing to help out this much....many thanks.

what i could really do with is straight front on photos of the flight yoke and a top down shot on the flight yoke also, as that is the hardest part of the cockpit to find good usable pics for. Also some good close straight on pics of the radio stack.

Oh and make sure NOT to use a flash, as this would create unatural highlighting and flare on shiny plastic parts. Most other textures i already have or can make, so just some general cockpit pics would be nice, any bits of nice detail you think would be good for a texture.

Thanks a lot mate, really appreciate your input. If you click on my user name you will see an e-mail address for me in my profile.

Cheers Steve

Russ.

Took some shots today. They are at:

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/squeeker55/mooney%20cockpits%202/

Unfortunately the sun was pretty harsh so I found it quite difficult to get shots free of glare across the whole image. And pics that looked crisp on the camera lcd dont look as good on pc screen  :-[ On the photobucket site, each pic is numbered, just send me a PM with the numbers of any of the shots you would like in full detail. Each pic is 3-4mb so not possible to upload that way.

Probably best stuff is placards. See what you think.

Cheers, Steve

Posted Image

Archived