Defragmenting Windows Partition?

gheeD

Hello.

I have my 500GB seagate HDD partitioned so that windows partition (C:) is 50GB, and all the rest is partitioned as software (D:). I can easily defragment D: so that theres 0,0B fragment left, so it does the job perfectly. But when i try to fragment C:, i can't do it! I can start defragmenting ofcourse, but from 4 GB of fragments, it only defrags 3.5GB of them. So there is some files left fragmented. I believe this is becouse windows uses those files, so they can't be touched. How can i close those files so i can defrag them?

Thanks.

Hello.

I have my 500GB seagate HDD partitioned so that windows partition (C:) is 50GB, and all the rest is partitioned as software (D:). I can easily defragment D: so that theres 0,0B fragment left, so it does the job perfectly. But when i try to fragment C:, i can't do it! I can start defragmenting ofcourse, but from 4 GB of fragments, it only defrags 3.5GB of them. So there is some files left fragmented. I believe this is becouse windows uses those files, so they can't be touched. How can i close those files so i can defrag them?

Thanks.

Sounds like you need a defgragger that can do 'offline' defrags.  Programs that can do this are Perfect Disk, O&O Defrag and Ultimate Defrag.  There may be others as well.

Bryan.

Bryan hit the nail on the head.

When you are running a defrag utility, the utility cannot defrag reserved files like some files in the Windows folder and the drive's MFT (Master File Table).

The best thing to do is either find a freeware utility that will conduct an Offline (or sometimes called Boot-Time) Defrag or invest in a good payware one.

Can you suggest a good payware one? I've found Defraggler i am using atm a good one, but if it can't defrag windows... It has got to go.

A lot of people swear by O&O and you can download a free trial of the software. At the moment I am trying out Ultimate Defrag (trial version) which has a myriad of options including a unique method of simply dragging and dropping files where you want them placed on your hard drive. If you choose UD though be prepared for some reading.

Bryan.

I use O+O version 11 and I swear at it rather than by it.  Whenever I defrag the system drive, it moves at least 30% of the files (usually very small ones).  What annoys me about this is that it happens even if all I do is defrag the drive, reboot and defrag it again.  While the defrag doesn't actually take very long, the fact that it seems to change its mind about where the files should go every time it runs seems inappropriate for a professional product.

I recently used the trial copy of version 12 and found that it still seemed to have the same issues during a short test period.

Also, note that Nick Needham's advice on building new Windows systems includes the fact that the defragger (he uses O+O, though I can't understand why given my results) should be given two passes at each drive being defragged with a reboot in between.  This is something I've always done whenever I've defragged a PC, regardless of whether it was a work PC or one of my own.

And FWIW there is a big difference between file defragmentation and space defragmentation.  Most products on the market, both payware and freeware, only seem to be capable of doing a good job of one or the other rather than both,

hope that helps,

Ro

Can you suggest a good payware one? I've found Defraggler i am using atm a good one, but if it can't defrag windows... It has got to go.

I'm using O&O v12 and love it. I've tried them all, from Defraggler to Ultimate Defrag, and have found O&O to give me the best performance.

If you download their trial, they will likely send you an offer via email to "upgrade" to v12 for $29.99, and if you hold out long enough they may offer it for $14.99 (this is what I did).

Archived