Problems with the upgrade!

LBPN

Hello guys. I recently bought new components for the PC and the problem is that BIOS and Windows reports 4GB of RAM instead of 6gb.

Motherboard: Gigabyte x58A-UD7

CPU: Intel I7 930

RAM: Kingston 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX XMP CL8

Cooler: Corsair H50

Win7 x64

Windows says 6gb installed; 4gb in use.

Anyone else have this problem? Please help...

1066 mhz

Wait a minute here....if I look at your sig, you are running DDR2 rams and now you are trying to run DDR3???

DDR3 rams will not run if your mobo is made for DDR2.......what mobo do you have?

EDIT: I just reread your post....DUuuuuuh on me.......you should run your rams at 1600MHz and my question was about the voltage of the rams in bios not the MHz. The voltage should be at 1.65v, if your rams voltage is on auto and is not at 1.65v you will have to enter it youself at 1.65v

You could remove two ram blocks, and place the remaining in each slot and see if a problem exists with one of the slots.

Put each ram, one at a time in one slot that you know works, see if problem lies within a ram block.

Some boards want ram in specific slots to work properly, see mobo manual.

B

i placed the ram modules according to manual. slots DDR3_1, DDR3_3, DDR3_5. (2'nd, 4'th and 6'th slot). It seems the last slot (DDR3_5) is not working. It's not booting from it at all. But the mobo manual says: In case you're using only 1 ram module, use only DDR3_1 or DDR3_3. What's weird is that CPU-Z says I have 6gb. But BIOS and windows states otherwise (4GB). Checked each ram module, they all work.

I'm really getting crazy you know.

Ok it was the motherboard. And I blame one of the RAM slots. It seems it's a common issue with the x58 motherboards. I found hundreds of post on the internet regarding this problem and most people are blaming the CPU socket having weak pins.

The problem is I became so obsessed with bended and misaligned pins that I completely destroyed the motherboard trying to realign some pins which appeared to be bended (of course it was just my imagination) and I broke one of the pins. So I cannot send the mobo for replacement and I had to buy a new one. And this one works like a charm. It show the entire amount of RAM. So most likely it was a defective RAM slot. If anyone happen to have a similar problem just send it back. Don't try to fix it yourself. I'm still bothered with loosing one board, yet I love the new upgrade. Amazing results compared to my old Q6600 system.

ftxthebest , what mobo did you get?

Gigabyte X58-A UD7. Same motherboard as the first one.

@TenBlade Well having one socket pin broken it doesn't even boot my pc. So the first motherboard is lost completely. Well at least the second one works like a charm.

Archived