Intel confirms new Core i7 and i5 processors, price cuts

HiFlyer

Intel confirms new Core i7 and i5 processors, price cuts

http://www.techspot.com/news/39693-i...rice-cuts.html

Quote:

After first showing up on a UK retailer's website late last week, Intel's new hexa-core Core i7-970 processor is now listed and in stock at Newegg for $900 with free shipping. As previously reported, it is based on the same 32nm Gulftown build as the slightly more expensive Core i7 980X Extreme, but Intel has scaled back the base clock speed from 3.33GHz to 3.2GHz and dropped the unlocked multiplier. All other specifications are pretty much identical on both chips.

In addition, the company has also launched a couple of new Core i5 CPUs and slashed prices across the board. The 2.93GHz Core i7 870 has seen the biggest cut, plunging from $562 to just $294 -- a drop of 48%. The cut follows the launch of a lower powered variant known as the Core i7 870S, which is clocked at 2.66GHz and has a price of $351, and a Core i5 760 with four cores clocked at 2.8GHz. The latter will debut at just $205, and seeing how the $5 cheaper, 2.66GHz Core i5 750 didn't receive a price cut we assume the 760 is meant as its replacement.

Further down the ladder the two-cores, four-threads Core i3 540 can now be picked up for $117 rather than $133, while the 3.06GHz Pentium E6600 has dropped from $84 to $75 and the 2.8GHz E5500 from $75 to $64. The new prices became effective yesterday -- you can check out the full list here (PDF). 

Better view if you look at this PDF:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa..._Price.xls.pdf

Yeah, that's all very well for them, releasing new chips at that price when they have a whole new chipset to replace that entire range coming out next year.

Why would they still be developing new i7's when they are gonna shelve them in twelve months?

I'd love to run out and buy one of these, but why would I throw away another 900 bucks, when it's gonna be worth squat in a year?

I hope the world goes up in arms over this. It sounds very much like the original P4 saga, when Intel told the world they would discontinue making them and then Industry heavies got them aside and reminded them that the "Dog wags the tail", not the other way around.

P4's continued to be made for a good while after.

Maybe we need another revolt????

Frank

I had never heard of TechSpot before, and have no idea who Jose Vilches is, but when I browsed through that .pdf document, I didn't find very many reduced prices at all - so much for "slashed prices across the board" ... and it seems to me that the only reason for the existence of the i7-970 is to justify the price of the i7-980X.

:'(

Archived