Island Hopping

Griphos

I've been exploring the new OzX NA airstrips.  There are some little jewels in the bunch.  I think my favorite trio right now is Crane Island, Clam Island and Shaw Island.  Clam Island is a great little strip, with a very nice harbor/seaplane base nearby. 

But Shaw Island is a hoot.  Talk about field elevation....I'm not sure how you'd figure out what to list this airstrip at!  I'm guess it changes 100 feet from one end to the other at least. 

Nothing fancy, but here's some shots to give you the feel of landing and taking off here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Speaking of Shaw Island, is this a little bonus airstrip?  It's on the bay SE of Shaw, near Blind Island.  Looks like the shore there has gotten the OzX treatment:

Posted Image

There are three strips in WA not in the San Juans.  Two of them appear to be little combo airstrip/campgrounds.  One of them, Kendall, has posts lining both sides of a narrow grass runway.  Not much margin for error here in a cross wind.  And Thompson isn't much less of a challenge, with tall trees on both sides, and a curve like a boomerang! 

Here's one parting shot.  Love the grass textures.  What a lovely view on takeoff:

Posted Image

I'm in the middle of doing just that, moving around the San Juan Islands. Very nice shots. That airport your asking about is 6WA5 Wilding, which is a stock PNW airport. I'm not sure what the deal is because OZx has listed Shaw Island airport as 6WA5 when it isn't, and I can't find any info about the airport on the net, the only listings I can find are for Wilding.

Mike

Yeah, I think you're right.  Here's a google earth image of the area:

Posted Image

You can see the area that my picture is of, and you can see the OzX airport to the left in the interior.  That airfield is not Wilding, I don't think, even though it has its ICAO identifier. 

Most airport directories show Wilding in the wrong place, in the middle of some woods to the south of the image above. 

But I found this picture on AirNav, and it looks to be just the area in my screenshot:

Posted Image

You must forgive us non locals, here at Oz we have easier names I just spin out at how your strips are named, I originally thought wilding farm was Shaw island, sorry for the mix up but glad your enjoying the strips anyway

Cheers

Ken

Archived