Whats special about Evans Head YEVD?

martinc

Hi folks,

Is there anything special about Evans Head?. Noticed when i was doing a flight from Coffs to Brisbane with Gold last night the FSX default flight planner/map shows restricted boundary airspace around Evans Head, generally i can figure out why an areas restricted. Military/mining/area-51 stuff, but cant see anything around there unless its got a secret gunnery range :). If someones got a VTC/VNC for that area handy can they take a look and see what it is in the real world ?

TA

Martin

I've heard a few stories of F-111 and BAe Hawks doing runs down the coast to Evans Head and looking UP through their canopies at some VERY startled hang gliders.  :o

So much so that some of them have popped flaps, air brakes, and gear to do a turn around and slow fly by to ensure that the hang glider pilots were not too shaken and that they were still safe.

Where I live is near to the coast line (Paradise Point for anyone who knows it), and sometimes at night you can hear the F-111's tear down off the coast, and then later you hear them at high altitude in the west returning to Amberley.

HMM, just had a funny thought...I was looking at the ERSA for Evans head airfield, noticed they fly ultras and models out of there and i get this mental picture.....

"....Ahhh, Evans head range control...this is FA-18 blah blah inbound and active for a firing pass...."

"...Ahh, Evans head range control...active target radar has aquired...target is approximately 4 miles out, height 200 feet, speed approximately 40 knots.... :)"

"...Range control, FA-18 blah blah has tone and is preparing to engage......"

".......WHOOSH fizzzzzz"

"...Ka-boom"

"Evans head range, fA-18 blah blah target neutralised, returning to base....."

Meanwhile, some poor kid is standing on the model field at Evans head Apt, control box in one hand, a "what the **** was that" look on his face, as his beautifully built scale model rains down from the sky in about a trillion smoking fragments.....

If you're ever in the Evans Head area (we spend about a month down there for Christmas & New Year) - they have a great 3-day fly-in over the Christmas & New Year period. You can take a trip in a Tiger Moth, Pitts Special (with aerobatics for the strong of stomach!) & they even have some "warbirds" there too! Here's link to it: http://www.greateasternflyin.com/

I've promised myself the Pitts Special this coming year (sick bags included!) Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I read once, while searching info on Evans Head, that an RAAF aircraft crashed in-bound to Evans Head when it was a WWII RAAF Airfield/Airbase. I believe the crew were killed. I do not remember the aircraft type but it may have been a fighter or trainer, more likely a Wirraway or perhaps a foreign built type. Someone may like to follow this lead up for their interest.

John G

Chandy, there were at least five crashes at or around Evans Head in the WWII Era:

March 1945, a Mosquito crashed

November 1944, two Beaufighters had a mid air over the ocean

May 1944, an Avro Anson crashed

October 1943, a Lancaster crashed on finals

April 1943, a Fairy Battle crashed in swamp south of Evans Head.

Thanks, Geoffman,

I didn't know all that happened around the Evans Head area. I have an interest, like a lot of people, in aircraft crashes and mishaps and the reasons for them, both from an historical and air safety/human interaction aspect.

Where did you find that info?

Regards,

John G

Archived