Upgrading to 37" Monitor - Help with DVI/HDMI

Hello folks,

I'm about ready to upgrade from a 22" LCD to a 37" 1080i LCD TV (these ol' eyes can't see the instruments in FSX that well anymore)

I have googled and read horror stories of folks trying to get hooked up correctly.

I have a 285 OCFU Video Card with two DVI Outputs -  My thoughts are to go with a DVI to HDMI cable.

I just want to make sure I get the same picture quality that I'm getting now.

Help me make the right decision.

Thanks so much,

cthiggin

well i use a samsung 32 lcd tv, i have used the hdmi adapter included with the ati card i got, it was for ma a simple matter of connecting the adaptog to the dvi port on the video card ad plugging in the hdmi cable,  now for one thin i have noticed, the writing on things like notepad and such ins't as clear, but while flying the gauges are cristal clear. the pc automatically set the res to 1980x1080 with 60hz refresh,

the tv autmatically displays what ever res the video card is outputting, but you cannot go over the native of 1920 x1080 (it seems to make no difference if it is i or p )

i can say i will not be going back to small again. i love the size, espically now i have got two msaller lcds set up for my g1000 panels.

hope this helps a little

Jason

I must admit, I looked into changing my Flight Sim room to accommodate a 40"LCD.

Before I did so, I loaded FSX/FTX to my HTPC that drives the 40" and I was bitterly disappointed.

It's a full high def 1920 x 1080 lcd, but I found it quite unrealistic and the gauges looked no clearer than my current triple head2go unit.

I know this is not always the case, as some here are running big screens but I reverted back to my 3 x 24" monitors with triple head2go.

I won't be looking at that side of things again until the native resolutions of the LCD's at least double, as I don't think 1920 x 1080 (at that size) delivers enough benefit visually to make the expensive change.

Frank

Thanks so much for the replies.

Well, due to my aging eyes, I'm almost forced to up in monitor size.

(Jason) - so, if I understand correctly, you used an "adapter" at the video card to convert the dvi to hdmi - then used a hdmi to hdmi cable?

And you experience was good.

(Frank) - you're saying the same thing the many google reviews said and there were some horror stories.

I know on my 55" Vizio, IF I go from my laptop to tv with the small Vgi adapter, the picture is outstanding.  Of course, one would have to also run a sound jack.

But, I don't know if VGA quality is as good as digital dvi/hdmi??? 

I just want a view that is good for flying like I have now on my 22'' monitor.

Best Buy / the others say it will work fine / but they are trying to sell you something.

Thanks again and have a blessed day.  Tom

DO NOT BUY a TV end of story they are for TV NOT High Resolution PC Graphics, unless you WANT to sit on the lounge with 1080 line rather than 1600 lines on your PC monitor.

Your call

Maurice,

I highly appreciate your imput and I agree with your assesment.

I have seen folks with PlayStations etc on TV's and it's pretty good - BUT, I have great resolution on my 22" -

Again, it's the aging 63 year old eyes that are forcing me to go larger.  Pocketbook won't allow for a large screen Monitor.

I'm going to "try" a Samsung 37" and see - IF it's not acceptable, then it goes back, period.

Have a blessed day.

cthiggin

If you can get an proper 37" Monitor and NOT a TV then the resolution will be very high but if it is a TV the Max resoltion regardless of size is going to be 1080 ,

The best I have seen recently was a 22" Wide Screen PC monitor running WQXGA 2560 X 1600 now this was placed behind a fresnell lens and ended up with a screen 40" at the same resolution. for a fraction of the cost .

Maurice,

My nephew has just set up a 37" LCD HD TV as a monitor and it looks great (saw it yesterday - with FS9 running). However the footprint of the stand was something to think about as it took up a lot of desk space (think hardware such as yokes etc that have to fit there, too). But my question for you, Maurice, is where do you get a fresnel lense?

Given that my 24" LCD monitor is producing 1920x1200x32 on a nVidia 280GTX I think a fresnel lense makes more sense.

Can you point me, and others in the direction of a supplier/outlet? I'm in NSW.

Regards,

John G

Hi

sorry for the long time to reply, busy on night shift,  yes i am using an adaptor on the video card,  the card came with one, i am sure you can buy one some where for hardly any dosh these days. and yes great experience, the pc even picked up the tv make and model.

now it brings an intresting point, all my monitors (pc) that i have have a max res of 1920x1080, and this is the native res as well,  what is the differenc e between a pc monitor and a lcd hd screen when they are both running the same resoloution??  personally i can't see much, and from running crt's at high res, there is very little difference betwwen the resoloutions.

good luck and hope the screen works for you, let us know what you think

Jason

Jason / Ricky,

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Are both of you using Samsung Brands??? - I've been told many times in other threads this brand is the "best" for pc to monitor???

Space is not an issue as I'm going to wall mount.

Can I then assume with my 285 OCFU I can 1. Get a dvi/hdmi connector / or / dvi-to-hdmi cable and it works fine.....?

Finally, on "your" tv's, did you use any of the hdmi ports / or / a specified port?

Thanks so very much,

cthiggin

You bet! I have a 285oc and it came with an HDMI connector. as for the brand, I am on my third Samsung. Not because its garbage but because I keep going bigger! I built a case for a 72" LCD the other day, had a hard time giving it back to the customer ;)

TVs and Monitors are quite different...

Also... I think HDMI cables are only able to get 24hz signals through them at most right now? Or is that for the new 3D Tv's per channel? i.e. 48Hz together... either way... Current TV setups... even the most expensive are incapable of running the same quality as dedicated computer monitors. TV's weren't designed for the signals you get in gaming... nor were they designed to do the same resolutions as computer monitors.

Good morning fellows,

Thanks so much for your continued interest and replies.

I do agree that TV's and Monitors are quite different.  Again, I am almost really forced to go larger due to aging eyes. Even with good "cheater glasses", I'm having difficulty seeing the gauge readouts in some planes.  It's not fun anymore.

ricky76 - On your Samsungs, (I'm going with a 37" but haven't purchased yet) - What is your model and refresh hz rate?

Thanks and have a blessed day.

cthiggin

ricky76,

Thanks.  I found a 37" Samsung with a 240hz refresh for 699.00 - Not bad.

They're a lot of 60 hz in Samsung 37" much lower in price, but can I assume the higher the refresh rate, the better the quality?

thanks, cthiggin

ricky76,

Thanks.  I found a 37" Samsung with a 240hz refresh for 699.00 - Not bad.

They're a lot of 60 hz in Samsung 37" much lower in price, but can I assume the higher the refresh rate, the better the quality?

thanks, cthiggin

Well it will smooth the image out. High sped scenes wil be less blurry, slow-motion shots will be alot smoother. You can't really go wrong. Specialy if your going to use it with a blurry player for movies ;)

ricky76,

Well, went to order Samsung 37, but I errored and it's a 60hz - evidently Samsung doesn't make a 240hz 37" -

Can I assume since it will be for FSX and regular business work, it will still be fine?

Thanks and hopefully, this will end this long thread. 

PS - the Samsung does have a dedicated HDMI port for PC hookup which really assures me.

Have a blessed day.

cthiggin

Archived