Afterburner

Mac

I recently had cause to revisit the numerous disks that came with the various components that went into my FSX computer. One is labeled "Afterburner" presumably for my R5870 video card. This seems to be all about overclocking. Has anybody used this for FSX and should I be doing a little "overclocking" Thanks.

I recently had cause to revisit the numerous disks that came with the various components that went into my FSX computer. One is labeled "Afterburner" presumably for my R5870 video card. This seems to be all about overclocking. Has anybody used this for FSX and should I be doing a little "overclocking" Thanks.

FSX relies on CPU performance man, just over clock your cpu.

It's just the MSI Afterburner overclocking and fan control utility. I used it to get the overclock on my 5850 as listed in my signature. It's basically RivaTuner with a fancy new interface, definitely easier to use though. Have a look on Google to see what overclocks others are getting on their 5870s, you probably won't notice a difference in FSX but if you play other games every little bit helps. Even if you don't overclock it's useful for altering the fan profile to get it to run slower and spin up later, as 5800-series cards run cooler than they really need to, especially at idle.

Mike

OK after a complete reinstall (twice) I am back on spec and am no longer concerned about losing a drive or crashing (computer wise that is). My Windows Task Manager says that I am using about 50% of my machines CPU capabilities and less than 30% of the Memory using Tim's Profile in FSX-GO.

I would really appreciate a hand doing a little tweaking (overclocking) to push my machine up to working a little harder. Thanks.

Archived