High Air Flow Brackets available for GTX 465, GTX 470 and GTX 480 Cards

Posted Image

After having bought my 480 GTX from EVGA I recieved a (free) package from them today containing their new high flow 400 series bracket. It is supposed to lower operating temperatures by several degrees celcius. They are a breeze (that is a pun) to install.

The new brackets for the cards are identical for all air cooled reference designed 400 series cards, to date. Anyone with an applicable card can order copies from them, even those who bought from other manufacturers. You can order from EVGA at http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=4

Posted Image

Yep, thanks for the heads up, Stephen. 

I just tried to order one but unfortunately there's a notice saying EVGA only ships to Canada, Mexico and the US, so I'm hoping a UK supplier will be getting them.  Time for an e-mail to Scan.co.uk.

Can't see anywhere that sells them in Oz.

Frank

The EVGA owners posting in EVGA forums are raving about the bracket. Yesterday, while it was hot and humid without air conditioning, I ran FSX for two hours flying low and slow over Concrete, Darrington, Israel's Farm and back again at full max display features and options (except usual traffic things) carefully keeping a record of what was going on. There has got to be 100,000,000 trees in the area, or so!  ::) No stutters, no spikes, and FPS locked at 40 with the external FPS limiter, with very little variation.

The temperature on the GPU maxed out at 81c with, coincidentally, the fan maxed at 81% at my posted overclock settings. If the bracket did not help lower those numbers a few degrees, then something else must have, for they used to run around the high 80s and low 90s. It is not the miracle cure for all that ails mankind, but it seems to me to be a step in the right direction. Perhaps if you can not yet buy this bracket overseas you might consider using your Dremel to modify the one you have as follows, copied directly from the EVGA Forums:

Posted Image

After reading about removing the bracket completely in the review Alain posted, I decided to do that to give as much airflow as possible and just make a small bracket to support the card (made out of a spare blank).

Just done some testing and the max. GPU temp is 3 degrees C less 4 degrees less (corrected for slight change in ambient temp) on 100% GPU load on Kombustor with 5040 x 1050 resolution.

I did think about cutting the existing bracket, Stephen, but decided not to just in case I need to RMA it.

Graham

Click to enlarge:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is smart looking work Graham. I have been following the trend of opinion on these brackets, and have been encouraged with just how much they seem to be able to help most people lower their temperatures. The average seems to be between 3 and 4 degrees C, but in my case (yes, that is a pun), I am not sure because I have not tracked it carefully, although it is cooler under load.

Most seem to think, and I agree, that the above mentioned test (that only showed 1 degree) is faulty for a variety of reasons. Here is an interesting and well documented evaluation that puts the variance at 4 degrees celcius:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=425178&mpage=7#445305

That's exactly what i would have done, Graham...

Interesting, first they design it wrong and restrict the airflow pretty much and then they sell a fix  ::).

I know it's a pain to set up, but i love my water cooling. I did it right this time and it runs perfect with zero maintenance required.

Archived