DirectX 11 ??

Tailgunner

The install notes for the new Eaglesoft  Twin Star stipulate DirectX 1.0.  Last time I looked, in Vista, I had 9 something. But I've since changed to Windows 7, and checking again I'm amazed to find I now have  DirectX 11.

Presumably a good thing? But if so, could someone enlighten me? How does it benefit my simming?

Hey TG,

It won't benefit FSX whatsoever.

The Basics in Layman:

Each application such as FSX uses a certain version of DirectX in order to work. FSX uses DirectX 9, and ACES was working on implementing DirectX 10 before they were disbanded (hence DirectX 10 Preview option in the Display Options).

Each version of DirectX has added new features or new ways for the application to interface with the OS/Hardware, resulting in enhanced graphics and graphic features.

Windows XP's highest implementation of DirectX was DirectX 9, Windows Vista and Windows 7 are capable of DirectX 11.

Your computer's capability to use a certain version of DirectX relies on your OS and Video Card. You may have Windows 7 which is capable of DirectX 11, but if you are using a Video Card only capable of using DirectX 9, you are limited to applications that render using DirectX 9. Likewise, if you are running Windows XP which is only capable of DirectX 9, and you are using a Video Card capable of using DirectX 11, you are limited to applications that render using DirectX 9.

Think of DirectX as an interface (the middle man) between the application and the OS/Hardware, that is the simplest way to explain it.

Archived