Anyone recommend the Logitech G940?

Sifor

G'day all,

I'm getting a little tired of my crappy joystick and considering moving up to a HOTAS setup.

I like the G940's split throttle and rudders, anyone have any experience with it?

I've heard the throttle buttons with lights aren't working in FSX, doesn't bother me though...

I mostly fly the VRS SuperBug, so I need a precise throttle above all other things.

Alternative product recommendations welcome.

Cheers

Have you checked Saitek's X52? (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52.htm) Costs less, doesn't include rudders tho, but u can get em from saitek for about 100$. Includes joystick and throttle, and from what i've heard its really good.

But yeah, thats what i would recommend if you wanna compare. Heard a lot of good stuff about X52, but not so much about G940.

Hmm it's most likely between Saitek and Logitech... hard choice. I do admire the split throttles and the rudders are a bonus on the Logitech, but it is also another $85 more at $425..

Sifor

I use the G940 and since the new firmware upgrade they work very well in FSX especially with FS Force Software.

I do not use the Logitech Software only FSX/FSUIPC4.

One caveat the pedals are an integral part of the G940 system so if you wanted to use a Yoke instead of the joystick, to use the G940 rudder/brake pedals you would still need the whole G940 system connected, ie you can't separate each component.  A minor point but they are not 'separate' pedals as per the Saitek or CH Products.

I used the G940 sytem to control the VSR FA/18-E for refuelling and carrier landing and it was pretty accurate and sensitive.

Regards

PeterH

Thank you Peter, I was particularly concerned with how the G940 would fair with the VRS Super Hornet considering the numerous controller issues.

I'll most likely pick one up later this month.

Cheers

I would wait about a month and get the only HOTAS you will ever need, it will never wear out and will be the "Nuts"

ALL metal, that's NOT just "some" but ALL, throttle weighs 3KG and Stick also 3KG thats 6KG's on your desk.

Posted Image

Unique Replica of the A-10C Aircraft Controller

Replica JOYSTICK:

- H.E.A.R.Tâ„¢ HallEffect AccuRate Technology: 3D magnetic sensors (Hall Effect) on the stick:

enjoy surgical precision that stays razor-sharp over time, 16-bit resolution (65536 x 65536

values)

- USB connection with upgradeable firmware

- Super-stable, weighted base (over 3kg)

- New detachable handle, crafted entirely of metal: also compatible with HOTAS COUGAR

handle (and vice-versa) , new replica shape, detachable metal plate for desk- or cockpit-style

use , new, realistic pressure on buttons and trigger and 19 action buttons in total + one

8-way “point of view†hat.

Replica THROTTLES:

- H.E.A.R.Tâ„¢ HallEffect AccuRate Technology: 3D magnetic sensors (Hall Effect) on the 2

throttles: enjoy surgical precision that stays razor-sharp over time, 14-bit resolution (16384

values) on each throttle

- Dual throttles, featuring: metal hand rest, locking system, adjustable friction system with no

dead zones, realistic pressure on buttons and switches and 7 action buttons in total + 1

mouse hat.

Replica CONTROL PANEL:

- Weighted base (over 3kg) incorporated underneath the throttles

- Backlit functions

- 5 large, programmable LEDs

- Realistic pressure on buttons and switches

- 13 action buttons in total + 1 TRIM wheel.

Guest AS355F

I love my G940.

I also have the Microsoft FFB2 (the usb version) which is widely regarded as the best FF stick around. Mine is now in the cupboard getting dusty, the G940 eats it alive.

I also bought the 940 on release day and I have no reliability issues. Considering the pedals are thrown in it's quite cheap really.

I just wish Logitech would update the software....

I too have the G940, I really wanted to get back to a force-feedback stick and was considering rudder pedals. I was luck enough to receive mine as an Xmas present.  :)

• The Stick - 9/10 - Nice large base so it does not move in use, the force-feedback is suitably strong with varying aircraft. Overall the stick feels very solid and well made./li]

• The Pedals - 7/10 - Nice large metal footplates, they feel quite sturdy. They have what I would call an indent for their central position which I'm not too keen on as it hinders smooth rudder inputs from or over the central position - would have been good if this could be controlled. I do wonder if this could be overcome by adjusting the sensitivity of the calibration and dead zone, but as yet I've not got round to trying it.
    • The throttle - 3/10 - Lots of useful well placed buttons (i'm personally not bothered about them changing colour for on/off etc.). Good to have the split throttle, even though I'm not currently using the fetaure. It's suppose to have indents for afterburner positions, but to be honest these are now not noticeble - worn away? My biggest problem is with the two analogue sliders (thumb-wheels on the back and side of the right throttle), these constantly "spike" causing my mixture and propeller settings to fluctuate in FSX, this is irritating in fixed wing aircraft but is a big enough problem with the Dodo 206 that it can cause engine damage and crashes (crashes in game that is). I have to say I find the throttle very disappointing.

Overall I do like the G940, the stick is pretty much spot on, the rudder pedals I can deal with the indent issue, but the throttle is really quite poor. As it happens I have now given up with the two thumbwheels - not worth the hassle. The other seemingly know issue is that all the sliders seem to move your controls in games in 3% or so increments, again this makes subtle changes in altitude in the Dodo a little more taxing than it should be. If these issues were not, well issues, then the G940 would be excellent and highly recommended. There is really very little if no real alternatives if you are after a force-feedback stick, personally I've always liked them and for that reason I put up with the problems I associate with the G940. It's certainly worth looking into, but you may want to check it out on forums etc. before paying your money - find out the possible problems you may come against. HTH.

I would wait about a month and get the only HOTAS you will ever need, it will never wear out and will be the "Nuts"

ALL metal, that's NOT just "some" but ALL, throttle weighs 3KG and Stick also 3KG thats 6KG's on your desk.

Posted Image

Unique Replica of the A-10C Aircraft Controller

Replica JOYSTICK:

- H.E.A.R.Tâ„¢ HallEffect AccuRate Technology: 3D magnetic sensors (Hall Effect) on the stick:

enjoy surgical precision that stays razor-sharp over time, 16-bit resolution (65536 x 65536

values)

- Super-stable, weighted base (over 3kg)

- New detachable handle, crafted entirely of metal: also compatible with HOTAS COUGAR

handle (and vice-versa) , new replica shape, detachable metal plate for desk- or cockpit-style

use , new, realistic pressure on buttons and trigger and 19 action buttons in total + one

8-way “point of view†hat.

Replica THROTTLES:

- H.E.A.R.Tâ„¢ HallEffect AccuRate Technology: 3D magnetic sensors (Hall Effect) on the 2

throttles: enjoy surgical precision that stays razor-sharp over time, 14-bit resolution (16384

values) on each throttle

- Dual throttles, featuring: metal hand rest, locking system, adjustable friction system with no

dead zones, realistic pressure on buttons and switches and 7 action buttons in total + 1

mouse hat.

Replica CONTROL PANEL:

- Weighted base (over 3kg) incorporated underneath the throttles

- Backlit functions

- 5 large, programmable LEDs

- Realistic pressure on buttons and switches

- 13 action buttons in total + 1 TRIM wheel.

Hi Dave, do you have a direct link to this product?

Thank you.

• The throttle - 3/10 - Lots of useful well placed buttons (i'm personally not bothered about them changing colour for on/off etc.). Good to have the split throttle, even though I'm not currently using the fetaure. It's suppose to have indents for afterburner positions, but to be honest these are now not noticeble - worn away? My biggest problem is with the two analogue sliders (thumb-wheels on the back and side of the right throttle), these constantly "spike" causing my mixture and propeller settings to fluctuate in FSX, this is irritating in fixed wing aircraft but is a big enough problem with the Dodo 206 that it can cause engine damage and crashes (crashes in game that is). I have to say I find the throttle very disappointing.

Have you removed all other assignments from FSX to do with the same commands that are for those analogue sliders?

My G940 did it's block with quite a few different things until I removed all default assignments for the G940 and then re-programmed it all. Nothing now really is an issue.

I use the hat on the Joy for trim. The slider on the Joy is useless for trim really. I think I assigned Mixture to that instead. Prefer being able to make adjustments with my thumb for Trim.

The lights on the throttle however really P*&s me off. That was a feature that was supposed to be working when we bought the unit. Funny enough someone wrote a program for x-plane that works sensationally well. Not for FSX???

Considering the TH Warthog will probably cost an arm and a leg, the G940 still looks to be a decent product from what I've read.

Thank you for letting me know about the potential throttle issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my G940 and I am pleased to say after a good three hours of fiddling it works lovely. Originally I had a toe break problem (constantly engaged) however that's now behind me.

One quick question for owners, is it possible to set TRIM2 and TRIM 3 to aileron and rudders respectively? In the FSX Axes menu only elevator trim is selectable.

Cheers

Just picked up my G940 and I am pleased to say after a good three hours of fiddling it works lovely. Originally I had a toe break problem (constantly engaged) however that's now behind me.

One quick question for owners, is it possible to set TRIM2 and TRIM 3 to aileron and rudders respectively? In the FSX Axes menu only elevator trim is selectable.

Cheers

Unfortunately, FSX does not support it - I was a little miffed when I found this out myself. I believe if you have a registered version of FSUIPC4 that you can set it up to do so, but I would not have a clue how TBH. If you have the Accusim'd A2A B-17 you can use the software that provides to do this for the B-17 at least.  ;)

• 1 month later...

I've only had my G940 for 5 days and wish I had not let myself be "talked" into buying it and over looked its pitfalls.

Had an old analogue flightstick with XP and that worked OK with Black Shark and FSX, but after altering this axis and that axis and trims don't work etc etc - a bit distraught at spending what was a fortune to myself.

Not going to say any more but I hope people on ebay have'nt read any forums  - wish I had done more research.

This is literally going back in the box and put up for sale at a loss just to see the back of it.

Thought I was keeping up with technology in my mind but its beyond me is this joystick - no joy at all  ;D  >:(

I've only had my G940 for 5 days and wish I had not let myself be "talked" into buying it and over looked its pitfalls.

Had an old analogue flightstick with XP and that worked OK with Black Shark and FSX, but after altering this axis and that axis and trims don't work etc etc - a bit distraught at spending what was a fortune to myself.

Not going to say any more but I hope people on ebay have'nt read any forums  - wish I had done more research.

This is literally going back in the box and put up for sale at a loss just to see the back of it.

Thought I was keeping up with technology in my mind but its beyond me is this joystick - no joy at all  ;D  >:(

Yes, it takes a few hours to get going but in my experience it is simply fantastic. What exactly are you having trouble with?

May I ask what sims you are using with G940 and did you do your own profiles?

I use FSX. All the axises are set by FSX not the profiler. For certain things such as instruments, however, I use the profiler.

Archived