Small yay !

martinc

Did a simple flight, yesterday at duck. YMPC - YMAV - YGLG. I know this doesnt sound like much, but i managed it only using VTC, stopwatch and compass. Doesn't sound like much, but for a gadget geek who loves his techno bits and pieces, it was pretty cool, No GPS, no extra-modern technology, no ap or outside views. Just what i had to hand. Small yay for me :)

I guess plowing through all that BAK theory was worth it after all..

One of the things I do to keep track of my location when I am flying for real is to calculate the expected ground speed, divide it by 10 and then put marks on the map along the route for every 6 minutes of flight time.  That way I can cross reference location with land marks (roughly) and check flight time with a simple clock.  Just after take off and once established on route after clearing the tower area I give my departure call and then just count in 6's and mark the 2 digit time on the map.  Makes for an easy and fast reference.  Then as I check off the tick marks each 6 minutes I can work out if I am ahead or behind time and I just add a +X or-X for correction.  If it is a long leg and I am trimmed up I will go heads down (more than normal anyway) and completely redo my time calculations based on my actual ground speed.  You really need a map to do this though, but with the FSWidget map you can estimate a middle point and work from there.  I also use extensively ground references to fly to/follow. That helps with calculating the effect of crosswinds and usually ends up as part of your cross checks as well.  With the accurately placed roads in FTX this is made a whole lot easier.

One final note, as they say, the 5 p's make for perfect landings at the right airfield ;)

Archived