New places to play on the coast of Oregon -1O0, 6S2. Heceta Head & Lake Woahwink

raymar99

I dropped in at the coffee shop at OZx this morning to see what Anthony was up to and saw that Brad had been busy this week with more free enhancements to PNW. Heceta Head Lighthouse and Lake Woahwink are fresh additions to the 3rd party User Scenery in the download section.  I immediately made the simple install and took my trusty C185 in for a quick charter.  As one would expect, the two fishermen had enough baggage on the dock for 6 people for a week so while I was waiting for the big brother C206 Amph to arrive for help, I zipped up to the Heceta Head Lighthouse to see if any new ghosts had arrived.  It is only 9.2 NM @ 337° from Florence, 6S2, according to Brad's text sheet.  The GPS says 9.4 NM, but, those Garmin 500s are close enough for this simulated work.

I would have sworn I saw a couple of Orcas playing around the inlet , but, I was so busy with my approach I never got a second look.  Lots of birds in the area so watch out for those guys coming thru the windshield.  I think I read that lighthouse is 150 feet up on the hillside and the most powerful one in Oregon. (also it is not really haunted, hah)

I saw what was maybe a Cessna 140 or Luscombe 8c down on that short beach and took at shot at the old overhead reverse hot low-fuel carrier approach.  Talk about sweating bullets on final, wow, that is one short landing area.  But, heck if a Luscombe could do it, certainly a 185F Tundra could do it better.  I snapped off one shot with my old Argus C3 just to show that I made it in one piece.  Thanks Brad.

Now, back to the only privately owned seaplane base in all of Oregon, 1O0 on scenic Lake Woahwink.  Watch those capital O and Zeros 0. As I do my normal flyover, I take a double take at the two Florida Nation floatplanes tied up at the dock.  At first glance, it thought it was two 185F with fresh paint but, then I noticed the 3 bladed prop on the  C206 Stationair and only 2 blades on the wagon.

The charter turns out to be a weekender to Concrete, WA.  That is both good news and bad news for me.  I wanted to take the 185F floatplane but there are no floatplane facilities at Concrete, yet.  Pooh.  Oh well, the C206 is not a bad second choice and I can check out Mangos and Andreas' progress in the area and land at 3W5.  I guess we can walk to the water.

Here are a few shots of the morning adventure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Goodness me, am I glad I found these and downloaded it all yesterday but never had the chance to install them and check them out.  I'll do it now.

There's more there too, with a couple for Australia.

Super shots and explanation.

Thanks Ray.

John

I thought I saw a couple of Orcas but then I saw the beach landing area and got busy looking at the lighthouse and trying to land on a postage stamp.  Thanks for the update.  I still have to go find Vinny and his looker.  Just not enough time for all this neat scenery and learning how to fly.  ;D

RayM

Archived