gtx 285 to gtx 480 swap

Guest J van E

Question  can I simply pull out my gtx 285 and install the 480 ? Is my ddr3 ram compatible with the card?

thanx in advance for any knowledge you can impart.

Your DDR3 ram has absolutely nothing to do with the GPU. If you can use the GTX285 now, you should also be able to use the GTX480: it's all about having the right PCI Express slot for it and the GTX480 uses the same slot as the GTX285 does, so you're okay. You might want to check what power supply you have though, because the GTX480 might need some more juice: if you are playing on the edge now (power wise) the GTX480 might be too much. But that's all.

Also was gonna say your cooling too!

This baby runs hotter than death valley!  :P8)

I see you have an Alienware A51... I have the Aurora and know now the 'Dellianware' machines are not fitted with the best coolers but your case is much bigger than mine so should be ok.

I say, go for it!  :)

thanks a lot fiftysix and J van E I have a 750 psu and my computer is liquid cooled so it stays pretty cool in the case I really appreciate your patience with my question I knew I could find hep here.

I am not entirely sure if it is necessary - but when i install a new GPU, i always uninstall the GPU driver (and nHancer) before i swap.

Absolutely, delete the Vidcard in your hardware panel and clear out the drivers with DriverSweeper, the Vidcard drivers for the 200 cards are completely different as the ones for the 400 cards !!

Hey all swapped today had to get a six to eight pin jumper and did it before I read the rest of this so I did not delete the old driver but now have the new updates.    I heard the nvidia control panel config does not do any thing in flight sim...... is this true ?

Archived