Use of old peripheral with parallel or serial Interface

Hellmut1956

13957000040_e8b47a4991_c.jpg

Hi everybody. After 2 decades I want to reanimate my old hobby of flying a flight simulator. I used to have pretty expensive peripheral to make flying more realistic. I am aware of that modern airplanes use display technology and GPS, when we use to fly with VOR and instrument panels like the one on the picture. My questions to you aim to be able to reactivate those peripherals. The one shown i.e. user a parallel interface, yoke and pedals use serial interfaces. To achieve my goal is probably one that demands more than just a hardware converter from USB <> Serial or US <> Parallel interfaces. What I imagine is required to translate the USB based protocol from the software simulator to equivalente parallel interface protocol.

I am contacting you because I want to find people who are aware of such protocols or ideally have realized something like what I am looking for.

What I fear would be a way to go is using a digital logic simulator, I have one from Digilent that is able to extract the content of a protocol in USB i.e. so that I can log the communication protocol and then translate this content to an appropriate protocol as the peripheral expects over the parallel interface.

I do imagine related to this peripheral there will be an address for read and write to a to a register related to each element. 

So the process should be something like:

Establish a link to the device r/mW the content of each register in the peripheral. It will be necesarry to know what peripheral kind of devices the software simulator supports.

As you can see from this message of mine, it is a pretty technical topic.

Regards Hellmut1956

Archived