Unable to download True Earth scenery on Mac OS

Contrails

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  Mac OS

Simulator:  X-Plane11

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

I purchased True Earth US Washington SD for X-Plane11. When I click on "Download via Orbx Central", I get the message: "Safari can’t open “Orbx://products/us-washington-sd-xp11” because MacOS doesn’t recognize internet addresses starting with “Orbx".

Orbx Central is in my Applications folder, but won't open - with this message: "Orbx Central" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information". Maybe this is why Orbx/central.log does not show in my Application Support folder?

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @Contrails

The "Download via Orbx Central" button in your browser won't work on on macOS. 

On 9/15/2020 at 5:31 AM, Contrails said:

Maybe this is why Orbx/central.log does not show in my Application Support folder?

You are correct in that if the operating system doesn't let Orbx Central start it doesn't have the chance to create a log file.

I'm currently using macOS Catalina and am able to run the latest version of Orbx Central without issue. Can you remove the existing Orbx Central application you have installed and redownload and install this form https://Orbx.to/central. If you get the same error again, can you provide a screenshot and let me know what version of macOS you're running.

Josh,

Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested and it appears that Orbx Central is now installed in my applications folder. I still am unable to download the scenery that I purchased. When I click on "Download via Orbx Central, I still the message  "Safari can’t open “Orbx://products/us-washington-sd-xp11” because MacOS doesn’t recognize internet addresses starting with “Orbx". I am running Catalina 10.15.6 on a brand new MacBookPro. I have attempted to attach a few screenshots, but am not familiar with the format of this message page. I'll try again if they don't come through:

My scenery order record with a supposed shot of part of my applications folder

The error message I get when I attempt to download the scenery

The page that opens when I click on Orbx Central in my applications folder

Thanks,

Contrails

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 11.33.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 11.42.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 11.48.55 AM.png

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @Contrails

The 'Download with Orbx Central' button on the website will only work on Windows. On macOS you'll need to launch Orbx Central and navigate to the product itself to find the download button.

The screenshot of the file ending with '.dmg' is the application installer, not the application itself. On the application installer you'll need to drag the Orbx Central icon across and onto of the Applications icon as the arrow suggests. This will perform the installation which will add a 'Orbx Central' application to the Applications folder.

Hi Josh,

I did install the application itself before and when I tried to open it I got the message "Orbx Central" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information". I tried it again to be sure and got the same message. Anything else to try?

Contrails

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 3.42.06 PM.png

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @Contrails

Thats unexpected as the software has been notarized and codesigned as per Apple's requirements. I've created an internal task to look into why this might be.

This article suggests simply right clicking on the application and then selecting open provides a different prompt that has an 'open' button.

https://thewiredshopper.com/apple-cannot-check-for-malicious-software-error/

Here's Apple's knowledge base article on the issue. https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchleab3a043/mac

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, hope you can help, I am having problems with Central as well.

I am using a 2020 Imac running Catalina and X-plane 14.5.

I have just bought some scenery software and i have tried to download Central. but when I open the app i get the following error shown on the screen below.

I saw an earlier note saying to follow a link to a download for Central, but it does not work.

Any ideas would be most welcome

Thanks

Eric

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 17.00.10.png

Archived