End of a long journey. East to West leg 19 - Shay Gap to Karatha

For this 190 nm flight I chose the Quest Kodiak.  Not without its auto pilot quirks but overall a nice 'plane to fly;

Posted Image

What surprises me is the land is well fed with water yet burned to a cinder for most of this area

Posted Image

On final, a bit steep but should be ok

Posted Image

Helicopter just landed.  I can land 'em but not as neatly as this one did!

Posted Image

I'll park over there

Posted Image

Missed ;D

Posted Image

For a default this is not a bad airport

Posted Image

Seriously though, OZx has a lot to do in the North West of Western Australia.  There are plenty of airports and strips even if hundreds of miles apart and having

some interesting landing areas would certainly relieve the tedium of the desert.

Still, thank goodness that's over.  For anyone attempting the cross continent challenge I would advise doing it in the reverse direction to me.  Get the desert over

and done with first as in the second half a good 50% of the journey is really very interesting as you pick your way up and down from one airport to the next within reasonable reach for an hour's flight.  From Alice Springs onwards many of the airports and strips in that second half can be either OZx or Orbx.

Incidentally, the longest flight I did during the whole trip was 477nm from Warburton to Halls Creek and the shortest 13.5nm Helidon to Wyreema.  Most were between 70nm and 150nm

John

Thank you ImageShack although there really was no need to shuffle the pictures as if they were a pack of cards!

Nice trip and shots John. Were are you off to next?

BTW, most of the creeks and rivers in the North West are dry most of the time and only get flash flooding in the Monsoon season following Cyclones.

cheers....

Archived