A Question about Memory Need Help Please

Ok I am still trying to undderstand some things about memory.

I thought I bought 4 gig PC-8500 1066MHz memory but CPU-Z and Easytune6 report my memory as PC2-6400 400Mhz

now in bios the memory has a set of 2 numbers in blue 800    800  ? what do these mean? I have manged to change the 800 by multiplier to 1066 but is this the MHz?

if original speed of memory is 800 then why does CPU-z say 400Mhz?

I am trying to understand exactly what memory I have what the numbers mean in BIOS and why the big difference so I can match my system correctly to improve the system and texture load times.

Could you be reading your bus speed in CPU-Z?

The 800 800 could be what the RAM is running at or rated for. It's hard to tell without seeing it myself...  ;)

The best thing to do is set your memory to it's stock speed (your case 1066) in your bios like you are trying to do. Also check the timings to make sure they are not set higher than they are rated for (the lower the better).

Phil

ok but I set it once to 1066 then BIOS showed this

Memory Frequency MHz 800      1066  - I don't understand why the 2 numbers?

What I want to do is set it correct but in order to get 1066 I must raise my FSB from 333 up.

to give you an idea the ratings on the memory is 5 5 5 18

all I really want to know is why CPU-Z says 400Mhz and yet BIOS shows 800Mhz? what is the speed of my memory? what do I set in My BIOS?

My MB is Gigabyte EP43-DS3 Bios revision 9 and it has the MIT Intelligent Tweaker in BIOS

The BIOS Bus speed is normal 333 and the Rated FSB is 1333.

so why does the memory frequency Mhz show 800  800 or  800  1066 ?

Especially if the DRAM is 400MHz?

DRAM = 400

DDR = 800

DDR means Double Data Rate, and the number on the end is a multiplier for the Double Data Rate.

I don't understand why one number would read 800 and the other 1066. Is it possible that while you were installing them you did not put them in the correct DIMM Slots to run Dual-Channel? Check in your motherboard manual to make sure what slots you need to use in order to use Dual Channel (essential if you want fast memory).

Can you change your RAM ratio/multiplier in the BIOS in order to achieve 1066 on the RAM without raising the FSB?

Phil

yes mate at the moment i am running back at stock FSB 333 and changed the memory to read 800 1066 but I don't think it should be running at 1066 according to the overclockers forum this is for pc-8500 ddr2 ram not 6400 ram which they say should be at 667mhz? now I am confused.

Archived