Wjich is better for FSX - HD5850 vs GTX 285

ravemtech

Hi Guys

I am building my new system for FSX and have ordered the GTX 285 1GB.  However the Company I am buying from have suggested  a Radeon HD5850 as being the better card and offering it for the same price. 

Any suggestions mostly appreciated.

Anthony

Rest of the system is:

Intel Core i7 - 930 Quad-Core 2.8GHz 8MB Cache 4.8GT/s QPI overclocked to 4GHz (I hope)

Intel X58 Express Chipset Mainboard - 3 x PCI-E 16x Slots

700 Watt SLI & Crossfire Certified Power Supply

Thermalright ULTRA-120 eXtreme with 120mm Fan

6GB High Performance Low-Latency DDR3-1600MHz RAM

24X Dual Layer DVD Burner

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Matrox TripleHead2Go

TrackIR

but the 285GTX is definitely the better choice versus the 5850.

Curiosity has got the better of me......as I am in the process of building a similar system to ravemtech, and  I have been told that the 5850 is on even par if not slightly better than the GTX285. ???

So now I am completely  confused!!! ???.....and I have also been advised (although not correctly I guess??) that GTX285's are hard to come buy now?

Look I am a total novice when it come's to computers, but I am trying to learn - this is why I am building a system from the ground up -  I know that there are people who swear by Nvida - and others who do the same by ATI - would it just boil down to a matter of choice? ...and are most of the components that make the card up the same?  :-\

I would value anyone's input here! ;D 

Anthony, I don't know how far your budget goes but if you can spend the extra on the GTX 480 do so.  I'm absolutely gob smacked with the performance increase  :o.  I had the GTX 275 because when I built my rig in November I couldn't buy a GTX285.  I knew the 480 was commin out early this year so decided to wait.  I can't comment on the 285 but the 480 is at least twice the card the 275 was and it was no slouch.  32x AA is unbelievable.  Hope this info helps.

Lynchie  ;)

Archived