Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: Would you fly this thing?

alexf

Swisscopter’s Dragonfly is a small helicopter that has rocket engines on the ends of its rotors blades to propel them:

The copter makes use of tiny hydrogen-peroxide-powered rocket motors on the tips of the blades, which replaces the traditional engine-powered rotor. Large fuel tanks surrounding the pilot allow the Dragonfly to travel at up to 40 mph for 50 minutes.

Man!  I don't think I want to be in the same zip code as that thing when it's flying.  I'm no engineer, and I don't even play one on TV, and I think the people who think these things up are incredible, but that thing looked like it was trying to shake itself apart there for a while.  Wouldn't any small discrepancy in the thrust of each of those little rockets at the end of the rotors lead to some pretty strange dynamics in the rotor?  And wouldn't there pretty much have to be discrepancies? 

Like I said, I don't know.  Gotta admire the gumption of that guy, though.

Reminds me of all the comments that were made when ultralights first were being developed.  Look how far they have come in a short time.  Other than the fact that rotary wing A/C are a completely different flying experience and require adequate training to master it will be interesting to see where this design goes from here.

I do enjoy the swiss and their incredible imaginations. Without people like this around, too many nanny states would exist!

However I have to make an adjustment to the endurance of this unit.

Endurance = 50min @ 40MPH

Theoretical Endurance = 1sec @ 1000MPH in multiple directions....

Fascinating. I love seeing someone with a pioneering spirit. When was the last time we saw a new method of propulsion?

While it's easy to have a laugh (and lets face it, I did too...) it's people like this guy who invented the horseless carriage 125 yesrs ago and powered flight over 100 years ago. Apart from rockets to the moon, not much has happened in the last 50 years. Good on him!

I'd be interested to see how viable it is though, both technically and financially. Is there an problem with mixture or other effects at higher altitudes? Is hydrogen peroxide economically viable as a fuel source? Can this thing be increased in size to make it a viable form of transport/weaponary/whatever? I'd love to see them answer "yes" to all these questions.

Fascinating. I love seeing someone with a pioneering spirit. When was the last time we saw a new method of propulsion?

While it's easy to have a laugh (and lets face it, I did too...) it's people like this guy who invented the horseless carriage 125 yesrs ago and powered flight over 100 years ago. Apart from rockets to the moon, not much has happened in the last 50 years. Good on him!

I'd be interested to see how viable it is though, both technically and financially. Is there an problem with mixture or other effects at higher altitudes? Is hydrogen peroxide economically viable as a fuel source? Can this thing be increased in size to make it a viable form of transport/weaponary/whatever? I'd love to see them answer "yes" to all these questions.

It is viable with one of those points.... if it was to strategically hit the ground, technically that is called a BOMB...and therefore this could be classed indeed as a weapon...

Archived