Extremely dissapointed with Orbx Central

reddaisy

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Hi Guys,

I desperately require some help here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, Orbx Central was created amongst other things to alleviate the problem for some users having to create symbolic links as

their disks were becoming filled up with Orbx sceneries (as was my case) without being able to move them to another drive. Prior to Orbx Central, I was using FTX Central and Junction Link Magic to create a symbolic link to move my Orbx  sceneries directory out of my P3D drive (R:.) to my drive (H:)

I own every single Orbx product relative to FSX and P3D and this consumed 528.17gb of my P3D drive. Like many other simmers I have created multiple scenery.cfg files, one for

North America, one for Europe and one for Oceania as I don't quite see the point of having to load in every piece of Orbx scenery (which takes around 45 minutes to load) when I only want to fly in a particular region. This setup, together with the symbolic link worked for me with no problems whatsoever.

I then decided to purchase LYBE Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport and did so in FTX Central. It was not until I went to install it, that FTX Central advised me I had no sceneries to install. I then learnt that I

could only install the scenery via Orbx Central. I installed Orbx Central then installed LYBE and EGLC that I had purchased earlier. I then decided to migrate all of my Orbx Products to my T: drive and this is when all of problems started.

In FSX Central, whenever you purchased an Orbx product, the scenery.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4\ would be automatically updated, but not using Orbx Central. Eventually I

found a scenery.cfg in my C:\Programdata\Virtual\Couatl\ directory which appeared to be relatively up to date. However, I then had to manually edit all 417 lines in the scenery.cfg which took 2 days approximately and I don't work slowly.

As I explained earlier, I migrated every one of my Orbx sceneries to my T: drive. I then loaded P3D and as it was loading it kept on asking me if I wanted to add each and every piece of scenery to my library (I'm not sure what this meant but I pressed "Yes" to add them to the library. At the end  of this process I discovered that I now had all of my sceneries in separate directories in T: \Orbx\p3dv4 directory and a duplication of all of the sceneries in T:\Orbx\p3dv4\p3dv4 which now takes up 2 x 528.17gb and this equates to 1.56tb.

I restarted P3D v4.2 and chose 1WA6 Fall City Airport as my starting airport. As P3D was loading, an error message came up on the screen stating "Path Not Found R:\Prepar3d V4\Orbx\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_O60\Scenery\*_objectflow.xml. So now I am unable to use P3D at all. I then searched in the O60 directory and discovered 3 x .xml's relating to 1WA6, 2 were in connection

with the 2 x animated airplanes at the airport and another. I took the opportunity to copy those 3 .xml files to my 1WA6 directory but have not at the time of writing had time to test it again to see if it works. I am assuming that if there is a problem with 1WA6, then there will also be a problem relating to .xml files at every other airport. 

I am now totally exasperated with Orbx and I am contemplating using only FTX Central. The only problem if I do revert back to FTX Central, is that I will be unable to make any further purchases from

Orbx because if I did buy anything, I would not be able to install it.

My 2 main areas of complaint are firstly, that why does Orbx Central not create a Scenery,cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4\ and secondly why does Orbx Central create 2 copies of

every single piece of Orbx scenery, when only one is required. There is a long way to go before I am convinced that Orbx Central is of the same quality as FTX Central.

Any help regarding these matters would be gratefully appreciated.

Please find attached to this post my Orbx Central log file.

Kindest regards

Colin

Orbx Central Log.txt

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Colin,

8 minutes ago, reddaisy said:

I then decided to purchase LYBE Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport and did so in FTX Central. It was not until I went to install it, that FTX Central advised me I had no sceneries to install. I then learnt that I

could only install the scenery via Orbx Central. I installed Orbx Central then installed LYBE and EGLC that I had purchased earlier. I then decided to migrate all of my Orbx Products to my T: drive and this is when all of problems started.

In FSX Central, whenever you purchased an Orbx product, the scenery.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4\ would be automatically updated, but not using Orbx Central. Eventually I

found a scenery.cfg in my C:\Programdata\Virtual\Couatl\ directory which appeared to be relatively up to date. However, I then had to manually edit all 417 lines in the scenery.cfg which took 2 days approximately and I don't work slowly.

There are two kinds of installations that Orbx Central can perform. The first kind is installing directly into the simulator. This installation is identical to that performed by FTX Central 3 and will result in the scenery.cfg file being updated with a new entry.

As you've migrated your products into a library you've performed the second kind of installation, a library installation. For P3D, a library installation takes advantage of P3Ds add-on package format to allow a product to be installed anywhere on your drive. As long as the add-on package is registered with the simulator, P3D will load it. Orbx Central registers these add-on packages with the simulator directly for you after a migration completes so P3D will know where to load this scenery from without a scenery.cfg entry. The scenery.cfg file is not modified as this isn't necessary for a library installation.

50 minutes ago, reddaisy said:

why does Orbx Central not create a Scenery,cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4\

As explained above, library installations don't use the scenery.cfg file and instead use P3Ds add-on package format. Manually adding scenery.cfg entries isn't necessary and will result in the scenery appearing twice as P3D checks both the scenery.cfg and the add-on packages.

31 minutes ago, reddaisy said:

why does Orbx Central create 2 copies of

every single piece of Orbx scenery, when only one is required

Orbx Central does not create two copies a scenery. The nested p3dv4 directories leads me to suspect that the library path had been changed at some point. If you set the root of your main library to  the path T:\Orbx Library\ Orbx Central will create a p3dv4 directory within the library root to keep your P3D products. The contents of a library folder shouldn't be modified as it will result in Orbx Central being unable to detect your products.

Below is the basic layout of a library with a few products installed. The root of this library is D:\Orbx Central\Library. Everything within it is created and managed by Orbx Central.

D:\Orbx Central\Library
├── p3dv4
│   ├── EU England
│   ├── Global VECTOR
│   ├── KCGX Merrill C. Meigs Field
│   ├── Orbx ObjectFlow
│   ├── SODE SimObject Display Engine
│   ├── TrueEarth Great Britain South
│   ├── TrueEarth Netherlands HD
│   └── YBBN Brisbane International Airport
└── xp11
    ├── 1S2 Darrington Municipal Airport
    └── 2B2-6B6 Plum Island Airport & Minute Man Air Field

Hi Josh,

Firstly, thank you ever so much for your prompt reply.

I was not aware that Orbx Central could carry out 2 types of installation and that the library installation method does not require a scenery.cfg file in order to load the Orbx sceneries.

I believe the duplicated p3dv4 directory was of my own making. Originally I had set the Main Library in Orbx Central to my J: drive. I then realised I had a faster spare drive available which is my T: drive. What I did was, I copied and pasted the p3dv4\library from my J: drive to my T: drive. I then started Orbx Central and changed my Main Library to T:\J Drive Backup\Orbx Central\p3dv4. When I went into My Products, I found it necessary to migrate all of my Orbx sceneries once again. This is what I believe caused the duplication of the libraries directory. So yes, you were exactly right in this respect also.

I have today renamed my  C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4\scenery.cfg file to New Orbx scenery.cfg so that when I start P3D it will not recognise it. I started P3D

and everything appears to be loading okay. I have loaded a few different Orbx airports and they seem okay also.

I've decided to invest in a new Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB drive and will install all of my Orbx sceneries directly into the simulator and not migrate them. I will then backup the new drive using Aomei Backupper Professional each time I purchase a new Orbx product or different aircraft.

Thanks very much for your help and guidance, my problems have been resolved.

Kindest regards

Colin

Archived