Review on the new core i7 980X....

I am using affinity mask at 12 to run FSX on two cores only for the best/stutter free performance, I know in theory more cores=better sim, but I want to see how it does in the field before I invest in it.

Tom's Hardware also has a review but they didn't benchmark it with FSX :'(

Guest markabcan

I too am very interested to see how it stacks up in FSX.  I can only see making the upgrade if there really is a significant performance advantage.  I assume it will be compatible with current X58 motherboards...?

Mark

I too am very interested to see how it stacks up in FSX.  I can only see making the upgrade if there really is a significant performance advantage.  I assume it will be compatible with current X58 motherboards...?

Mark

Yes it is compatible.....

I am using affinity mask at 12 to run FSX on two cores only for the best/stutter free performance, I know in theory more cores=better sim, but I want to see how it does in the field before I invest in it.

Tom's Hardware also has a review but they didn't benchmark it with FSX :'(

Not sure what CPU you are running but guessing it's a quad. Do you notice an improvement in stutters at 2 cores vs 4 and keep a decent framerate or are you sacrificing fps for consistency?

G'day Oli,

Not meaning to hijack the thread however I see you are runnung an i7 930 @ 4.0 Gz. Have read in some forums where temps can be a bit of an issue with this early batch of CPU's. Any problems with yours?

I'm trying to decide whether to get in & buy a 920 before they all dry up or get the 930 in the near future.

Not sure what CPU you are running but guessing it's a quad. Do you notice an improvement in stutters at 2 cores vs 4 and keep a decent framerate or are you sacrificing fps for consistency?

Actually I am going back to the original cfg with no affinity mask, I got smoother frames and less stutters but the ground tiles load much more slowly, so there are blurries.  This is not a big deal over default terrain and Orbx stuff, but over photoscenery it's an immersion breaker.

BTW I am running a Core i7 920 at 4.2.

Hoping this affects the prices of the 975.  I gotta lose this Core 2 Duo like a bad date.

Just spit-balling here, but for the price of a 975 you can get a solid motherboard, i7 920, a cooler, and a solid RAM kit that will easily match a 975 as far as overclocking goes. Heck you might even have money left over depending on where you buy your parts.

The only time 975 shines is in EXTREME overclocking (the only time unlocked multi is needed), where LN2/phase cooling is used, which isn't practical for day-to-day operation.

Just something to consider.

Hoping this affects the prices of the 975.  I gotta lose this Core 2 Duo like a bad date.

Just spit-balling here, but for the price of a 975 you can get a solid motherboard, i7 920, a cooler, and a solid RAM kit that will easily match a 975 as far as overclocking goes. Heck you might even have money left over depending on where you buy your parts.

The only time 975 shines is in EXTREME overclocking (the only time unlocked multi is needed), where LN2/phase cooling is used, which isn't practical for day-to-day operation.

Funny enough, I just ordered an i7 930, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB and 6 gigs of 1600 G.Skill RAM  all for under $850 USD.    :D

Funny enough, I just ordered an i7 930, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB and 6 gigs of 1600 G.Skill RAM  all for under $850 USD.    :D

You always pay for what you get....

That is why I've never got on the i7 train, the Q9650 is twice the chip of the 17 920 or 930....

i7 920 - 930 = 8MB cache clocked at 2.66GHz and 2.88GHz

Q9650 = 12MB cache clocked at 3.0MHz so this is the winner for FSX.

Comparing new chip with old chip does not mean the new chip is better for FSX.

Now the only way you will improve FSX is by adding more core + faster CPU + faster vid. card + faster rams ++++

New tecno. does not mean better FSX ride......

If you did not see this listen to Phil Taylor here, he is saying FSX can use 256 core.....

I'm no hardware guru at all, but...

First, why would anyone at this point buy a new LGA 775 chip?  No future-proofing there.  Next gen 6-core Intel's are on 1366 socket.

Second, most benchmarks show a 920 equaling or beating a QX9770 when at 2.66GHz vs. the QX running at 3.0GHz.  Since they are both OC'able to 4.0 (930 even more so), it would seem at equal speeds, the 920 would easily best it.

All this for $100 buck cheaper.  The nuts part is the 920 was close to $1,000 cheaper when they first came out. 

Folks over at Guru3D and other places agree: (written 11/08)

"If we take the Core i7 920 as shown today, we still are a little in disbelieve .. 284 USD is surely a lot of money for an entry level quad core processor, but the fact is .. it's a very good amount faster than today's most high-end 1300 USD QX9770 processor. Now of course due to Intel's' strong position the last two years they have been able to keep price high and the performance quite level. The result is a rich contrast in price and performance. But man, I'll take it, that Core i7 920 is a great little processor."

<shrug>

G'day Oli,

Not meaning to hijack the thread however I see you are runnung an i7 930 @ 4.0 Gz. Have read in some forums where temps can be a bit of an issue with this early batch of CPU's. Any problems with yours?

I'm trying to decide whether to get in & buy a 920 before they all dry up or get the 930 in the near future.

Hey Rossco, sorry I missed this one...

I haven't had any issues at all with temps, even after several hours of FSX it's peaked at about 75. That is a little higher than other's I've seen, but haven't had any instability issues. I'm using a Noctua cooler, I might get a lower temp with water.

I'd be interested in the 930 discussion you mentioned though..

Recently, my system was a QX9650 overclocked to 3.8 GHz with water cooling and DDR2-800 CAS 4 RAM.  I replaced this with a i7-930 overclocked to 4.2GHz on air, with DDR3-1600 CAS 7 RAM.  The QX9650 cost me $1300+ Cdn when new, and the 930 cost was $319 Cdn.

The performance difference is significant, albeit not "night and day". The i7 cores are 10-15% more efficient (i.e., more commands for the same cycles), and the Quick Path Interconnect  provides roughly 2.2X more memory bandwidth than the previous North Bridge / FSB technology.  This translates in to roughly a 20-25% improvement in FPS, and a much smoother graphics experience.

Although ymmv, my personal experience suggests that the i7-930 is hands-down a better performer for FSX...

Archived