no Scenery_packs.ini backup?

andy1252

I just bought Skagit for XP. The sales screen said "you need orbx.central to install this". I fired up the old ftx central to see it this was the case, and although the product showed up in the list when selected it stated "no download available".

So, I reluctantly started up Orbx Central. I allocated a single library on the drive I use for XP and installed KVBS. Following the install, I checked my scenery_packs.ini. I note that installing that one product has resulted in a complete shuffle of all my XP Orbx products except the True Earth folders. Without the courtesy of an explanation from the software, and without taking a backup of the ini file first, which I find inexcusable. Why has installing a single airport done this? Is this going to happen every time I start Orbx Central?

I was hoping to avoid having to use this software for a bit longer, but it seems that if I want to keep buying Orbx products I'm stuck with it. I can see from the posts in the forum that lots of folk like this new software, but I find it obtrusive and unnecessary. Particularly for XPlane - there is really no need to move the installation files out of the custom scenery folder as far as I can see - it's not overwritten in the event of an XP upgrade or reinstall and if I wanted to store my Orbx files outside there I'm perfectly capable of using symlinks anyway. Forcing me to install your products in a the way you have decided best feels a bit arrogant.

I am really very worried about having to use this piece of software to handle my P3D environment. I have about 600 layers in my scenery file there and I dread to think what kind of mess Central will make of that. I would like to keep buying Orbx scenery, but I'm really not sure I want to risk it for P3D, even though I've been really looking forward to OL Africa/Asia.

I feel, and have felt since the original announcement, that Orbx Central is an unnecessary "upgrade". A bit too much like the old flaming burgers in the IBM ads back in the early internet days. It all reeks a bit of doing stuff just because it's possible, without considering if it's really wise or necessary. And I know this sounds like a rant, but I'm really not happy with the direction things are taking here. I've really loved all the Orbx sceneries - I have everything you've produced and it is all wonderful stuff. But this is all going horribly wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Please at the very least ensure Central takes a backup of the scenery_packs.ini file before making changes. Fortunately, I DO take backups so I will be able to see exactly what your installer has done and make appropriate corrections. But I should not have to do this.

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Thank you for your feedback - it is incredibly valuable to hear what our community thinks about Orbx Central.

We've addressed many of the concerns in this thread:

On 8/13/2019 at 3:23 AM, andy1252 said:

Please at the very least ensure Central takes a backup of the scenery_packs.ini file before making changes. Fortunately, I DO take backups so I will be able to see exactly what your installer has done and make appropriate corrections. But I should not have to do this.

We've also made a note of adding an option that does this.

Thanks, Mitchell. Following the release of the 4.0.6 update I'm not so worried about having to use Central. I've uninstalled the couple of XP products I had put in to a library and reinstalled them direct and all is well. I've also removed the library I created so everything is back to normal, at least as far as XP is concerned. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens when I have to use Central to install a P3Dv4 product, but it does sound like you guys are indeed listening to those of us with issues (and you can read that however you want <grin>) and for that I am certainly grateful, thank you.

As to the ini backup, I put a button on my pgm launcher to fire off a one line batch file to do that for me.

Archived