No Palm Trees?

TomG

Hi,

Why are there no palm trees in Florida?  I was excited to see the release of the new Trees addon hoping it would improve the appearance of Florida, California, etc. with regards to no palm trees. Also, Florida is basically green all year round (Southern California also) and doesn't have the fall colors as the rest of the country does, nor do the trees shed their leaves in fall and winter.  Thanks,  Tom                                                     

Hi Tom,

Are you referring to Trees HD?  If so, Trees HD doesn't add any new types of trees where they didn't already exist, it only improves the appearance of the tree textures as they already exist in the sim.  So it is not designed to add new palm trees to Florida, or change the seasonality of trees.

That being said, what addons are you using for California?  In our Northern California and Southern California regions, we minimized the trees that lose their leaves in fall, and mostly used evergreen California scrub oak varieties for the broadleaf trees to give a realistic year-round green appearance for the vegetation.  There are also numerous date palms and fan palms used in the urban landclass types.  Having lived in the bay area for 5 years and spending extensive time in SoCal, I personally believe that the vegetation represents the area quite well.  I don't sim much in Florida, so I can't speak to the accuracy there...

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks for the response, Scott.

I only mentioned California as a comparison to Florida.  I agree that it is well represented in FTX and quite accurate.  My main concern is that Florida is close to semi-tropical  with regard to palm trees and is pretty much all green throughout the year with no fall colors. (As far as I know).   I have only been to Orlando and Miami but as far as I know, northern Florida is mostly green all year.

I just got the Orlando addon and was surprised there were no palm trees at all.  That was my main concern.  Thanks.   Regards,  Tom 

Archived