Nvidia GTX 480 vs ATI 5870

Dwho

So far, still hoping NVidia's new flagship will cause FSX to work a lot better vs their old cards. Seems the cards are focused on

DX-11 technology that FSX does not benefit from. I think the good thing may be the driving the prices of the ATI cards down a bit. Hard to comment if it will be a 5970 killer. I guess not, but will soon find out. Some how I think they are late in the fastest card game, and are more of playing catch up with ATI verses overtaking them. I hope I am wrong. I am thinking ATI's technicians can take a years vacation without nothing to worry about.

Interesting video, thanks for posting.

Note the little 'extra' on the end, where he's demonstrating 3 screens in 3D! I don't think that is currently possible because of sync issues between screens (and probably also because of sheer lack of power).

Well that would be absolutely fantastic! The system he demonstrated it on had TWO GTX480 cards though so it will burn a spectacular hole in your wallet, for now.

I'm not going to believe any charts, benchmarks, or inside pictures until at least FIVE different hardware sites have benchmarked the new nVidia cards. There's so much bias out there (and of course the developer's charts are going to be biased...) that you can't trust only one source (except [H]ardOCP of course...  :) )

Maybe someone could put in a request for a benchmark using FSX???

I'm hoping that since nVidia chose what was going to be a heavy graphics development chip that it will be good at crunching FSX. If this is the case, I might actually own my first nVidia card... (been 3Dfx and after that ATi my entire graphics 'accelerator' using life).

Unfortunately any bit of information available about the new NVidia line of cards points to heavy reliance on tessellation to pull ahead, in which case I think there will be very little to no performance increase in FSX over the ATI cards (though IQ might be better if they follow their trend). But, we're just going to have to wait for someone to get their hands on one of these puppies and run it through some FSX hoops.

Archived