Symbolic links not being created [X-Plane 11]

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to ORBX Central and decided to migrate my True Earth GB South to my external drive.

Followed the procedure and when it completed the files had all been moved, but I could find no symbolic links in my custom scenery folder within X-Plane 11.

Tried out X-plane in case I was missing something obvious and as per the screenshot of Portsmouth, True Earth South is not present.

I do have a very large scenery.ini file (attached), and I have also included the central.log file, which says it's created them.

Will try just a small airport and see if that works instead, and will search PC in case the links went AWOL.

[update] - Southampton migrated, but once again no symbolic link.

Cheers

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  Windows 10

Simulator:  X-Plane 11

Screenshotimage.thumb.png.053fc683ed08dd874905d5763effbdfa.png 

Issue:  symbolic links

scenery_packs.ini central.log

Hi!

This is quite a strange issue, because Central runs the Windows command mklink, which should only say 'symbolic link created for...' if it was successful.

Can you check the following things?

• Is F:\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\ the correct path to your X-Plane Custom Scenery?
  • Does H:\FLIGHT SIMULATION\ORBX\ORBX LIBRARY\UK True Earth\xp11\TrueEarth Great Britain South\Custom Scenery exist?
  • Can you try pressing 'Sync Simulator', which can be found in Central under Settings, Help. This will remove and recreate the symlinks.

Sorry, I have been fiddling a little with this since I wrote.

F:\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery definately exists.

Does H:\FLIGHT SIMULATION\ORBX\ORBX LIBRARY\UK True Earth\xp11\TrueEarth Great Britain South\Custom Scenery exist?  - It did, but I have since moved/deleted things since.

Can you try pressing 'Sync Simulator', which can be found in Central under Settings, Help. This will remove and recreate the symlinks. I will do once I have things 'back to normal' a bit.

My current plan is;

Having renamed my custom scenery folder, and created a new one with just the basics in it.

I will re-install one of my airports and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

Just tried a minor tweak.

Southampton EGHI was in my custom scenery folder, and also loaded in my library - not sure why.

Having deleted the files from my custom scenery folder, I tried the 'sync simulator' option you mentioned.

I now have what I guess is a symbolic link in my custom scenery folder (never seen one before) - see screenshot.

It has not updated my scenery.ini file, but I guess that must now be a manual job after a start/stop of x-plane.

Will report on further progress!

Interesting to see that the scenery.ini file shows the scenery as if it was actually in the custon scenery folder - was not expecting that.

When I do a properties listing of Southampton airport, it shows the true location.

I am more used to using shortcuts which show the true long path - interesting.

Screenshot (154).jpg

scenery_packs old.ini scenery_packs.ini

Looks like I have managed to migrate all my scenery now, but I have to run 'sync simulator' after I have finished in order to get the symbolic links.

It does not seem to work automatically.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

:-)

15 hours ago, Historian said:

Interesting to see that the scenery.ini file shows the scenery as if it was actually in the custon scenery folder - was not expecting that.

When I do a properties listing of Southampton airport, it shows the true location.

I am more used to using shortcuts which show the true long path - interesting.

Yep! Symbolic links are interesting things. To X-Plane 11 it should look like any another X-Plane scenery.

4 hours ago, Historian said:

Looks like I have managed to migrate all my scenery now, but I have to run 'sync simulator' after I have finished in order to get the symbolic links.

I'm glad it works, I've made a note of this and we'll see if there is anything in the installation process that would be preventing this.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

:-)

I have also (31/07/2019) installed some scenery that was purchad but not installed, and that process seems to have created a symbolic link without any problem.

Looks like it's only the migration process that needs a little 'kick' at the end.

Archived