Worth getting the Sapphire Active Display Port to Dual Link DVI-D Adapter?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has an ATI 5870 and three monitors on the go using the Sapphire Active Display Port to Dual Link DVI-D Adapter? It's currently on sale for $130 Canadian so want to make sure FSX runs 'reasonable' before I buy it. I say 'reasonable' because I don't expect super high FPS with 3 X 24" Samsung 2443BW monitors. Have two running at the moment and looks great apart from the obvious plastic line down the middle of the view  :(

Look forward to any replies.

Thanks,

Andrew

People have been reporting success using $20 DisplayPort to D-sub adapters. I guess you'd lose a tiny bit of image quality with the analogue signal but it's still better than spending more than $100 getting it working. Have a look at this thread on Whirlpool. Also, Dell do an active adapter for US$100.

Mike

Most of the threads I've seen are saying that you must have the active adapter for it to work.

However, I'd be interested to know if you have solved the no vsync with the 5870 issue, I recently setup a system with a friend and i still can't get vsync active on that system.. personally I think that fsx is unflyable without vsync on win7 64bit.

How's it for you..

Cheers

Maurice.

Thanks for the replies.

I had a really good read of the posts at the link you supplied Mike but the adapter mentioned looks to be touch and go as to whether it will work correctly. Other similar posts on the net are also a bit vague.

I seem to spend so much time changing cfg settings and hardware, if I stop I'll probably get bored of just flying around in FSX after week ;) Although I have always thought it would be a lot more realistic visually with 3 large monitors especially after seeing the difference with 2. 

Have decided to go get the Sapphire Active adapter tomorrow despite the rip off price. Lesson learned I guess. I may see FSX showing on 3 monitors in all it's glory by tomorrow evening.

Maurice, I wasn't even sure what vsync was or an issue with the 5870 on win7 64bit. More fun and games  :(

Andrew

Archived