Historic Spitfire shoot over beautiful Australia.

solareagle

It would seem to me to be a bit lost and a long way from where this Aircraft should be located.

This Mark VIII Spitfire was flown by Lieutenant John Fawcett of the 309th Fighter Squadron, 31st Flight Group, 15th AF, USAF based in Castel Volturno, near Naples Italy in early 1944. Most likely in raids over German occupied Southern France, Corsica, Sardinia Tunisia and Algeria.

It is unique in several ways: It employed dark green/grey on the upper surfaces rather than the sand/brown configuration. The borders on the "Stars and Bars" should have been converted to blue in August 1943, but were still red on this aircraft in March 1944. The repeated code letters "JJ" distinguish it from an older aircraft with the same designation. The heart shaped patch behind the cockpit was sensitive to poison gas and would change color when exposed.

He completed 182 combat missions in this Aircraft over the Med and North Africa, the Aircraft incidently was named after his wife.

It would seem to me to be a bit lost and a long way from where this Aircraft should be located.

Of course, but I'm not here to give a history lesson.  This is a screenshot thread.  Thats a historic spitfire over australia, and the end of story in my world. 

Guest Aussieman

Whoa Solareagle, no need to get the knickers in a knot. I don't want to see this turn into a slanging match.

While your shots are really beautiful, showing off the great work of the Orbx team Mozz has just added a little piece of history to the aircraft. It also made for a bit of a good read.

Quite often when we see screenshots here, or on any other FS related forums, I often wonder about the history of the subject aircraft as would a lot of others here.

Well done both Solareagle and Mozz.

Cheers

Pat

Screen Shot thread yes , this I realise, I was attempting to add some history to a very interesting Aircraft, since there were very few Spitfires actually in the USAF.

Many were flown however in the RAF by Americans masquarading as Canadians, so they could do their bit well before the US entered the War after the Attack on Pearl Harbour.

If you prefer I can remove my initial post.

Archived