Hardware Performance Charts for those looking at new hardware

Phil Manhart

Hi all,

I've noticed that some people will ask around for performance regarding certain new pieces of hardware. Usually a Google search will net you the answer, i.e. GTX 280 benchmarks, ATi 5870 vs GTX 295, etc. However, a site called Tom's Hardware maintains performance charts for everything from SATA and SSD Drives to GPUs and CPUs. About the only thing they don't do is system RAM and I'm sure someone would have to be dedicated 24/7 to keep track of those...

In case anyone is looking for this handy info before making a purchase, here's the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/

I am not affiliated with or endorsing Tom's Hardware, I just want to help those out looking for questions. There are other sites with similar info, but I've found Tom's Hardware's to be the easiest to navigate.

Thanks,

Phil

Hey Phil,

Yes, I know about Tom's and have used it for soooo many years now.  Very helpful site, and helpful for you to point it out. 

The issue about using him for info for hardware for FSX/FTX it seems to me, is that the benchmarks he uses for gpu's and cpu's are often games and processes that are specifically written to take advantage of one aspect or another of a given bit of hardware (like multiple cores, for instance) and so doesn't always give an accurate picture of the difference a particular hardware upgrade can make to this actual sim.  I'm no expert, of course, but that's my concern (and the reason for my specific post elsewhere here, which you also helpfully replied to...thanks!).  That's why it's nice to ask people who have actually upgraded in similar ways what they're experience in FSX/FTX is. 

That's the trouble, I think, with a sim that is basically out of production and no longer being updated except for wonderful add-on products like those here.  Hard to know how new technology will affect it.

Anyway, as I said, a great site and great of you to link to it.

Archived