PC Monitor died. what to replace with?

alexf

I've had two 17" Dell flat panel monitors for years on Windows Vista. Dated now but it's great to work with two monitors.

One of them just died. I'm not sure it is the monitor or the power supply. Just no power light comes on. As the two monitors are different models, the other one not having an external power supply, I can't swap the power brick to test.

I figure they are old and it might be time to get a newer model, but as I'm way out of the market I don't know what's good.

My PC has an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX card that runs both monitors at  their native res of 1280x1024 - 60Hz

My main use besides regular PC work is photography and flight simulation. Don't know if a wide screen monitor is good for my needs. Within a certain budget, I would also like to know if my card is too dated and it is time to upgrade to a newer nVidia, keeping in mind than one 17" monitor still works and will stay at its native resolution.

PC is Alienware dual core 4Gb RAM.

Any recommendations on makes/models? I can look at Amazon or BHPhotovideo (where I buy my Nikon equipment)., so places to shop are not a problem, what to get is.

After asking around in flight sim and photography boards I settled for a Dell 2209WA 22". It arrived today and I'm blown away by the quality. From FSX to movies to photography (my main use) it is amazing and so much better than a regular TN monitor and within my budget ($300). Highly recommended.

I'm also in the market for a new monitor, preferably a 24".  The problem is that so many of them only have the 1080p vertical resolution, which I'm worried doesn't have much more height than my 1440x900 19" monitor. 

Does anyone use a 24" 1920x1080p monitor, who finds it too wide and not high enough (e.g. to see a decent amount of cockpit and scenery)?  I'm thinking a 1920x1200 would be more suitable, but interested to hear your thoughts...

I can't answer as I'm new to wide monitors. The Dell 22" I just received (see above) is 1680x1050 which I find works well side-by-side with my older 17" 1280x1024 as they have similar height. In FSX I had to zoom back out on 3D cockpit from what I was using in the old 17" monitor to see properly.

Archived