It pays to OC video card, screen shots, 85% OC vs Default

caaront

It does make a difference, mainly in texture loading but everything is smoother overall.

I use Riva tuner to OC my card, and I have 2 profiles I use:

1. Default-

When I'm not gaming its set to default.

2.- 85% over clock, when I'm in FSX I use this profile.

At 90% OC I got artifacts so I go no higher than 85%.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Glad to hear your success! You may or may not know the answer but I will ask anyway. I have a GTX285 FTW. This card is supposed to be an overclocked version of the stock 285. It's clock settings are higher out the box. I was wondering if this card can still be overclocked? It is made by EVGA.

Thanks

Bob

I am new to this so I will not tell anyone to OC their card or CPU directly, as I'd hate for someone to damage a card as a result of my advice, I hope you understand.

But you can download Riva Tuner and it will read your card and show you its default settings and its maximum settings.

If there is a pretty good amount of room to work with it would probably be okay to OC it a little at a time.

I'm sorry about the rough red line in the screen shot but it goes from the default settings on the card to the maximum, that is the "amount of room to work with" I am talking about.

I hit artifacts at 90% but everything is fine at 85% so that is my target for gaming.

Also be sure to increase the fan speed with the OC to avoid over heating, my default fan speed is 40%, I set it to 70% when its OC'd and it runs cool.

In the screen shot showing the fan setting use the slider I marked to adjust the fan setting.

I you do this go slow in very small increments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I followed a tutorial on OC'ing with Riva Tuner, I reviewed about 5 different tutorials and they were all very similar.

What all did I miss?

And can you direct me to the info, a tutorial, or share the info with me?

Thanks.

Nowhere in Riva Tuner, Speccy, CPuz, GPUz, do I find any votage settings on the video card, where do you change this at?

My PC is at 4.2GHz stable and has the optimal settings for each parameter, the RAM timings are optimized, but nowhere do I find any voltage settings for the video card.

Let me take some screen shots, maybe someone can point them out to me.

BRB

Aront, are you telling us you oced your card by 85% without increasing the voltage on it?

Here are ten SS's of performance monitoring and adjusting programs, no where can I find a setting for, or the words Video Card Voltage, can you please direct me to where I can find this and make adjustments to it?

Thank you.

And if you look at the SS's you will see that all the settings in the BIOS for the CPU OC were done properly, as are the RAM timings, and I thought that all the video card settings were correctly done, as per 5 different tutorials.

Please tell me how to chance this voltage you speak of.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFul0

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFwQ9

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFzki

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFBPr

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFEjA

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFGOJ

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFJiS

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFLO0

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFOi9

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxYFQNi

I'll be checking this regularly to catch your port, please let me know as soon as possible.

I think you are thinking of changing voltages when CPU over clocking.

I would think if there was a video card voltage to change it would be present in at least one of my performance tracking programs.

It not in Riva Tuner and its about the best tuning program for NVIDIA cards.

I don't use Rivatuner I use Precision tool from Evga and they don't have voltage tuning for the cards.

I am speachless........it will be like overclocking your CPU without raising the FSB or core voltage.....you may have one of a kind (1 in a million) card.........

Let say you have a card (like mine) running from the manuf. default at ...

Core clock..................712MHz.........overclock x 85% = 1317.2MHz

Shader clock..............1620MHz........overclock x 85% = 2997MHz

Memory clock.............1332MHz........overclock x 85% = 2464.2MHz

There is no way in hell I can overclock my card that far, the best I can do is about 5% overclock ............

Did you stress test your card with OCCT? If you did and you passed congrats and if you did not stress test it I suggest you do, keep an eye on the temp at the same time.....

PS: Please post the brand and spec. at default of your card.....

Looking at the screenshots, I can see that the 85%oc setting is 85% of a theoretical maximum deduced by RivaTuner. This is not an overclock of 85%.

From the before and after screenshots it appears that the Overclock is actually only  a 26% increase on the Default. Still, not a bad step :)

Cheers

There is no way in hell I can overclock my card that far, the best I can do is about 5% overclock ............

Did you stress test your card with OCCT? If you did and you passed congrats and if you did not stress test it I suggest you do, keep an eye on the temp at the same time.....

Same with my Gigabyte GTX260-OC. It comes with an overclock and I can bump it another 5% but that's it, starts to get unstable after that.

Looking at the screenshots, I can see that the 85%oc setting is 85% of a theoretical maximum deduced by RivaTuner. This is not an overclock of 85%.

From the before and after screenshots it appears that the Overclock is actually only  a 26% increase on the Default. Still, not a bad step :)

Cheers

You're right, thats how I got 85%, but its not actually an 85% OC, Thank you sir.

I don't use Rivatuner I use Precision tool from Evga and they don't have voltage tuning for the cards.

I am speachless........it will be like overclocking your CPU without raising the FSB or core voltage.....you may have one of a kind (1 in a million) card.........

I came up with 85% as the max in Riva Tuner not thinking that the default was way above the minimum, sorry, my mistake, like another mentioned, I'm about 26% and all is well.

I understand about stepping up the voltage in the BIOS, I thought you were saying I needed to raise voltage on my card, that's what threw me.

Just so you'll know frojm now on, I am a disabled veteran with a very bad neck in need of a third cervical spine surgery as I have some loose hardware in my neck and more nerve impingement going on, besides permanent nerve damage.

and I hurt 24/7 and have to take strong meds, so if I've done good to build and OC my rig and learn everything I have thus far, I'm still learning.

Thanks sir.

I came up with 85% as the max in Riva Tuner not thinking that the default was way above the minimum, sorry, my mistake, like another mentioned, I'm about 26% and all is well.

I understand about stepping up the voltage in the BIOS, I thought you were saying I needed to raise voltage on my card, that's what threw me.

Just so you'll know frojm now on, I am a disabled veteran with a very bad neck in need of a third cervical spine surgery as I have some loose hardware in my neck and more nerve impingement going on, besides permanent nerve damage.

and I hurt 24/7 and have to take strong meds, so if I've done good to build and OC my rig and learn everything I have thus far, I'm still learning.

Thanks sir.

Sir, no need to apologize at all, that was just an honest mistake, I am 52 and I made my first mistake in life about 10 days ago so I know the feeling....  ;D  .....I have the deepest respect for man like you...man who gave themself to their country to keep us safe so we can all have the freedom of enjoying life in a secure place...... without man like you we would not be able to fly and exchange idea about overclocking..... Sir my words will never be enough to show you how much I respect what you did for all of us......be safe flying....

I'm man enough to admit that I just shed a few tears, Thank you sir.

I was injured on a peace mission in Bosnia in 2000 and was medically discharged in 2002, it was hard seeing my buddies going to Iraq later wishing I was going with them.

I'm man enough to admit that I just shed a few tears, Thank you sir.

I was injured on a peace mission in Bosnia in 2000 and was medically discharged in 2002, it was hard seeing my buddies going to Iraq later wishing I was going with them.

I understand trust me....you did your part...now time to let them do for you what you did for them.

Archived