Help XP11 and GB True earth

Hi I am fairly new to Xplane11 having always used FSX and now trying to switch to XPLANE11. I am having problems with GB True earth. I understand now the setting for video GPU to the left and CPU to the right. I have started minimum settings  for both GPU and CPU in video setting and have upped each slider 1 at time as I was getting BOD and close down of XP11 with my settings that I have used since day 1. I can put the left hand setting (GPU) to maximum, and get FPS of approx. 28 to 35 (My graphics card is Navidia 1050TI and oclocked.) However soon as I up the right side settings (CPU) to above the middle I get the lock outs or BSOD. My CPU is intel I5-7600K @3.80 and 16gb RAM @ 2400MHZ. My M/B is ASrock H270 PRO4. The scenery also does not look right. I have used ORBX in FSX and always impressed. Any help greatly appreciated. I am a grey haired simmer so gently with me please thank you

Terry

Before anyone can offer meaningful help you'll have to provide more information. Starting point with X Plane problems is to upload your log file which is generated everytime X Plane launches and is found in the X Plane root folder - log.txt

This may or may not point to the likely cause of your issues but it's the first place to start.

Next you need to confirm whether the problems you're experiencing occur away from the orbx scenery area aswell as in the True Earth zone. If it's happening everywhere then its probably not Orbx thats causing it. If its only in the GB south area then its possible the orbx installation has an issue - XPlane is extremely picky when it comes to the scenery files of the type used by True Earth (and ortho4xp which you may have read about). One dodgy file miles away from your starting point can easily cause XPlane to crash without any warning. If you know what you're looking for identifying the rogue scenery file is a simple but potentially time consuming process but from my experience it's often the root cause of start up problems (I've upwards of 10 terrabytes of self generated scenery so have had my fair share of loading problems!)

So if you can provide more info I'm certain we can get you up and running - it's well worth the effort, believe me!

Thanks for your help.

I will have a look at the log file and see what I can see there as I know it generated one and it went to Laminar.

No it is only happening for instance in GB south area as all is ok GB North. Seems mainly with London City airport as I tried Bodmin near where I live and that was ok and so was Bristol. So maybe that area is too dense for my rig? 

I haven't got my head round the scenery order yet so can you tell me what it should be have a lot of catching up to do with XP11 file order? I will have a look at the Custom Scenery folder and see if I can see if it is ok.

Will let you know what I can see as good way of learning and let you know.

Many thanks

Providing just your computer specs does not really help I'm afraid; because it's your settings that play a major role in the amount of virtual memory being used by XPlane (and any other sim). For the record, XPlane typically uses a more virtual ram than FSX/P3D, and in this instance all the information you need has been provided in your log file as shown below: -

0:06:53.838 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0:06:53.838 E/SYS: | X-Plane is running very low on memory.
0:06:53.838 E/SYS: | Scenery loading is now disabled.
0:06:53.838 E/SYS: | To avoid a crash, please turn down your settings and restart the sim as soon as possible.
0:06:53.838 E/SYS: | http://lookup.x-plane.com/_lookup_11_/lo_mem.html
0:06:53.838 E/SYS: | (UTL_memory.cpp:1095)
0:06:53.838 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'

If you look at the web page referenced, it confirms the problem and provides hints as to how you may resolve it: -

Reducing X-Plane’s Virtual Memory Use

There are a few ways you can reduce the amount of virtual memory that X-Plane needs to operate.

The first thing you can do is remove add-ons.  Plugins, custom airplanes, and custom scenery can all increase the amount of virtual memory that X-Plane uses.  Try removing add-ons and see if the problem goes away.  Add-ons can also increase the amount of memory that X-Plane itself uses. You may have to mix and match add-ons depending on your activities.

The second thing you can do is turn down X-Plane’s settings.  Here are some settings that make a difference in virtual memory usage.

• AI traffic.  More planes uses more memory, and more complex and higher detail planes use more memory.
  • Texture resolution: turn texture compression on – it saves a lot of memory.  Turn down texture res as needed.  In particular, do not run with extreme res and uncompressed textures.
  • Trees – turn down the forest density to save memory.
  • 4x SSAA – when in HDR mode, turn off 4x SSAA if you use a large monitor or a large window size.

You may also want to monitor system CPU, memory and video ram status during startup of the application just to confirm the above is correct and to help find the balance point required for your machine. For more assistance, please post your settings :)

Terry

25 minutes ago, Terry Furminger said:

Hi Terry

ok thanks for that will keep working on it and sounds like a new Video card might be in order think maybe a Nvidia 1060. Will monitor and see how I go. Really do appreciate your help and it is a learning curve all good for retirement.

Many thanks

Terry

These are my settings for XPlane which are a little conservative as they give me plenty of headroom on both CPU and Video Card....although with a 1050ti I suspect you may need to lower the Texture Quality a notch or two. 

JNoalTO.png

An example of images are: - 

3fGPSDR.png

BF97NIw.png

Yep thanks I have to keep Texture quality to 2nd notch, I noticed you have got antialiasing on 2x.... so will try mine on that was on first 4x.... however now seem to have all the City airport and surrounds ok with 35 - 40 fps which think is pretty fair and fingers crossed no BSOD. Take a bit of getting used to as the setup is very different from FSX  but think I am going to enjoy Xplane. I did become a FSW simmer but as we all know that is a different storey shame though but every cloud has a silver lining and here I am on XPLANE after nearly over 30 odd years on MS FS... 

Been out all day but glad to see you've received great help from terrym and have got things running. Been simming for 30+ years and tried every product out there but once x plane 11 and orth4xp arrived I went into seventh heaven. X plane isn't perfect but from an eye candy perspective I think it's unbeatable and its constantly being developed which is brilliant. You've backed the right horse and I'm sure will grow to love it in time

13 hours ago, Terry Furminger said:

Yep thanks I have to keep Texture quality to 2nd notch, I noticed you have got antialiasing on 2x.... so will try mine on that was on first 4x.... however now seem to have all the City airport and surrounds ok with 35 - 40 fps which think is pretty fair and fingers crossed no BSOD. Take a bit of getting used to as the setup is very different from FSX  but think I am going to enjoy Xplane. I did become a FSW simmer but as we all know that is a different storey shame though but every cloud has a silver lining and here I am on XPLANE after nearly over 30 odd years on MS FS... 

Personally I run a 4K monitor so my pixel size is extremely small and I don't need to use that much anti-aliasing hence my setting of 2x; If you run a HD monitor (1080), you may want to adjust this to 4x and test again, but it is resource intensive and your 1050ti may struggle a little. Best thing to do is just experiment a little, but the settings I gave you should see you well with good FPS.

Check out my response..... to see why you will probably enjoy XPlane 

Glad to have helped :)

Archived