Payware scenery on an external Harddisk

Capitian

Hello,

I have just started installing payware scenery and still have quite a bit left to purchase.

I just want to know if there are any known issues with installing and running all ORBX scenery on an external hard disk, and not the C:Drive.

It looks quite straight forward to me but I don't know what FTX Central does behind the scenes.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, modern external SSDs work fine, so no problem. FTX central checks where your simulator is installed. The difference would be only about the time needed to load a scenery, but if you have an external SSD, maybe with usb 3.1, loading is fast as well. For example with a Samsung T5 MU-PA1T0B.

Hi Maurizio,

Thank you for your fast reply.

If the FSX is installed on the C:Drive and the scenery on an external HD, then I assume FTX Central checks this out.

I notice that in C:Users/MyName/AppData/Roaming/Orbx systems/ there is a file called OjectFlow and that that needs to be modified to tell FTX Central where to look for the scenery.

Also the FSX <scenery.cfg> file in C:/Program Data/Microsoft/ needs to have the correct drive letter in its scripts.

Great. Just so that there are no issues, then everything will be fine. I must emphasize that I am really impressed with ORBX scenery.

A USB 3.0 HD is faster than using the PC's internal HD (I have been informed) so there is no issue there. It has worked extremely well for other manufacturers scenery.

Thanks.

Sceneries are installed in the directory where you have the simulator and system registry is written each time. FTX central checks the system registry. If you move sceneries from a disk to another you have to create a virtual link. There are other files that are not in FSX/ORBX directory like those you mentioned. But you don't need to modify something.

If FTX central doesn't recognize your FSX this means that the system registry is corrupted and you have to use an utility to fix it.

You can have the simulator installed in C:/ and sceneries on the external, but they are added manually in the scenery library, otherwise sceneries are installed in the Orbx folder, where you have the simulator installed, so in this case in C:/

It's possible anyway to install a simulator on your external drive, and then all your sceneries will be installed there. In my old pc i have FSX installed on a external HD. It's Always better not to install a simulator in C:/ because being the OS disk, you could have latencies where you are Flying. The ideal is to have a drive dedicated to it :)

Archived