Cessna 185 Skywagon

Great pic mate. I must admit, the more I see this bird the more I feel the need to get it myself, despite trying to be good and not buying any more aircraft for a while. I've been revisting some of my collection of payware aircraft recently, all to easy to forget how good a lot of them are.  ::)

Stunning work Jigsaw!

Great pic mate. I must admit, the more I see this bird the more I feel the need to get it myself, despite trying to be good and not buying any more aircraft for a while. I've been revisting some of my collection of payware aircraft recently, all to easy to forget how good a lot of them are.  ::)

I have just done the exact same thing mate, it was amazing how many gems I had in the hangar that I had not taken for a jaunt in a very long time, problem is, with such great aircraft coming out on a very regular basis, it's always the old 'fish or cut bait' syndrome, the hangar gets a new favorite, and the older ones gather dust out the back.

Are the switchers really 3d now? not just look it.

It's  the usual mix between 2D and 3D elements. While the autopilot, radio panels and circuit breakers are 2D, the light, battery, fuel pump and generator switches are 3D. The cockpit is very well modelled, regardless of the 2D elements, though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does she slip?

Oh yes, she does! Drops like a stone too, when you do so. Look at this successful approach followed by a super soft three point landing in the first third of the runway, despite the high approach. Look at the light brown rectangle thing on the left side of the runway for reference where I touched down.  Also take note of the VSI gauge in the lower left in particular.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest J van E

There is no tail wheel lock, at least not in this Carenado version.

I also just bought it. One of the main reasons was the GPS in the VC: I don't like popup windows, so I had to get this one. Only thing is: I also bought the C182RG just two weeks or so ago, and the planes are very similar... The C185F is very dark and I am missing some things that I like in the C182RG (the sounds when you turn on the battery and the fuel pump for instance, but also that you can switch of the radio: little things like that). The second radio also has some strange colors (black isn't black but very grey, which makes it look like what it is: a flat picture...). And there is no knob for the strobe lights. I also have a bit more trouble leaning the mixture: in the 182 there is a top peak line on the EGT gauge but the 182 doesn't have that, so I have to lean on sound more now.

It is a nice plane, but I think I like the C182RG more, but maybe that's just because I got used to it. I do like the GPS in the 185 VC, but I doubt if it was worth my money. I wished the 185 was available when I bought that 182, really... The graphics are high res though, where the 185 has a lot of very low res textures.

All in all I don't know what to think of my purchase...

Guest J van E

J, found it, I must be blind... just above the carb heat!  :-[

The label says pilot pedals, the tooltip says tail wheel lock...

Carb heat...? The C185F has no carb heat. Unless you haven't patched it yet... The only knob I can find that has something to do with pedals, does nothing here...

Hi J,

I have the carb heat indeed, and above it I have a similar knob.

Two strange things here:

1) on the panel you have a label related to pedals, but the tooltip says "lock/unlock tail wheel": it works and I can see the difference in the aircraft behaviour switching it on/off;

2) yesterday I have noticed that in the "white" version the knob doesn't work  ???

I have the carb heat indeed

No, you don't. Those are CABIN heat knobs and not CARB heat (Carburetor) knobs. ;)

1) on the panel you have a label related to pedals, but the tooltip says "lock/unlock tail wheel": it works and I can see the difference in the aircraft behaviour switching it on/off;

2) yesterday I have noticed that in the "white" version the knob doesn't work  ???

Only the red U.S. Department one uses the Pedal Stow knob as tail wheel lock. The other Skywagon versions don't.

Guest J van E

Am I the only one who can't stand that edit error in the panel (between the two radio's)...? It's a big mistake and I am surprised it made it into the final product. I edited it out myself:

Posted Image

In fact, I ended up removing the 2nd radio altogether because the ENB-bloom can't handle the contrast (all knobs looked washed out all the time). I also put in the default C172 AP because I like to have ALT too, specially since this plane is a hard to trim (for me), and also because I always have problems seeing if the buttons are pressed or not on that Carenado AP.

Posted Image

It's a nice plane, but in the end to similar to the C182RG I also bought a few weeks ago... I mainly bought it because of the nice GPS in the VC (sucked to the window). Pity there isn't an easy way to get that GPS into the C182RG. ;)

EDIT:

Because the 2nd radio is gone, I also removed the 2nd VOR gauge and put a cover on it. Yes, it had big fun last weekend editing all this stuff.  8)

No, you don't. Those are CABIN heat knobs and not CARB heat (Carburetor) knobs. ;)

Whoops!  :-[

THAT was that strange warm air sensation I felt during approach!  ;D

Only the red U.S. Department one uses the Pedal Stow knob as tail wheel lock. The other Skywagon versions don't.

Right, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I was also impressed by this latest Carenado offering and as soon as I got back off holidays, I lashed out and bought it.

While I was away in Vietnam, I visited the War Museum in Saigon and there was an ex-USAF Skywagon that they used in the Vietnam war.

I took some snaps and rustled up a paint for it tonight.

I also learned some new graphic techniques which should make painting a little easier from here on in.

Here's the paint:

Posted Image

[img width=1160 height=328]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1266774682.jpg

[img width=1160 height=328]http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1266780732.jpg

And here is a photo I took of the real thing in Saigon:

Posted Image

I'll post the file over at Ozx in the morning, for those who might be interested,

Frank

Archived