Strange shapes appear on approach YBCS & YBRM

jkitt58

Hi,

I flew the first two legs of Worldflight yesterday and all good until final approach Rwy15 into Cairns, I was confronted by huge grey walls and wheel like patterns blocking my view of the runway threshold I landed ok on the ILS went through the walls and then I could see again LOL.

My 2nd leg into Broome I was not so lucky on visual approach into Rwy 28 the walls appeared again couldn't see the runway until almost at touchdown only to realize I was off to the left and too high. By this time I was getting a little cranky managed to land and disconnect.

I hope there's a fix?

Thanks

Jeff

Could you confirm that you are using FSX, and possibly post a screen shot of it.

To take a screenshot, press V and it will produce a bitmap image in C:/Users/PCUser/Pictures/Flight Simulator X Files. BMP format is too large to post, so you will have to convert it to JPG using paint. Then 

YBCS.thumb.jpg.53aa7dd3ee2821979fb869abea1927be.jpg

Yes it goes from 3.4 to 3.9, I think it's called Gigabyte Intel CPU boost technology or something, there's a whole list of auto settings related to the CPU not sure what some of them do.

The Auto turbo boost setting itself has three choices auto, enabled or disabled it's currently set to Auto.

Thanks

Jeff

I'm thinking that you don't have a powerful enough computer or you have too much detail being displayed.

I have never heard of a grey wall, but my thinking is this, typically if the computer is having difficulty displaying an object, mostly it will be invisible and you will see grey (sometimes an other colour) behind it. Also, if the computer can display the object but not render it, the object will be grey (mostly).

I have seen wheel like patterns, but not as you are describing. They are horizontal wheels next to the runway and taxiway and are tall grass textures that the computer has difficulty rendering.

I consider myself as only an intermediate trouble shooter and perhaps those more knowledgeable than myself can comment.

Have flown into these airports many times previously without any problems at all, the only difference this time was loads of Worldflight aircraft already at and following me in to the airport.

I had previously turned off all airport scenery via the Orbx control panel and did not receive any Oom VAS warnings and FPS was ok fairly smooth easy to hand fly etc.

These strange grey walls and wheel type patterns did not look like part of the scenery that was trying to load, it was a totally separate thing rising up maybe 500 mtrs before the Rwy threshold once I flew through it everything was normal again.

Now thinking back I do remember seeing these grey walls once at Sydney Fly Tampa airport near the Qantas domestic carousel, I think I just taxied through them on my way and didn't give it much thought.

So it's not just an Orbx thing.

Otherwise the sim works fine can't remember the last time it crashed, I use 3 x Pc's to share the load As16 & vPilot networked on the other 2 machines.

The Sim is running full screen 3 x 23" screens with Matrox Triplehead2go digital, Trackir, CH yoke and Pro Pedals.

The current FSX setup has been running since 2012, not sure what else I can tell you.

Maybe it's time for a fresh installation? just can't get my head around all that WORK!

Regards

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

That's YSSY, so definitely not an ORBX thing. Really scratching my head over this. Seems not even aligned with runways. You may be waiting quite a while for a knowledgeable person to answer this.

I retract what I said about alignment. It appears to be aligned (but why not touching the ground?).

FSXwheel1.thumb.JPG.01d1d720bb37359d460107c015a3a55f.JPG

And the wheel is the hub of an aircraft undercarriage.

FSXwheel2.JPG.720fcbebfabb4f5752396569af9805bd.JPG

Something to do with ILS?

Archived