CPU prices dropping sooner than I thought!

drumsonly2002

Looking at Newegg Canada today, i7 920 has dropped to $288.00. Tiger Direct Ca. $307.00 Free Shipping. The New Egg i7 975 is under a grand. Not bad considering my local  computer shop is selling an i7 for $399.00, and  i7 975 for $1239.00. The prices haven't fallen much for the Q9650 yet. This is happening fast since the release of the new chips. Encouraging indeed, but spring will be more interesting price wise.

The prices are going to keep falling for the current chips now that the Core 2 line is now dead and buried to intel, replacing them are Core i3 CPU's which are built on the 32nm Westmere microarchitecture, they have 2 Cores and 4 threads instead of 2 for the old Core 2 Duo line. Though Core 2 Duo isn't completely gone its still a great platform for a general desktop PC or a mainstream laptop PC.

The baby I got my eye on is the new i7 980x with it's 12 gigs of glorious cache  :o  My guess is I will settle for a very nice CPU like the Q9560 and think about the i7 980x for next years adventures. I lack humility with my computer and drum hobby. Be nice to find a place selling CPU's wholesale, but then again the local computer shop must keep in business with profit. Cannot wait for someone using FSX to test the i7 980 and post results. Who will be the first to go where no man has gone before? A bright future for FSX / FTX as the hardware is catching up.

Was telling a former bandmate about Orbx and how great FSX looks with it. When I finally get the office renovated (right now suffering from chronic lazyness), have my pals over and show them what a flight sim should really look like. Building a collective for the Dodo this summer after I get the computer stuff sorted. Nap of the earth FTX flying, triple head, track ir and beer this summer! A nice flight in the outback at dusk drinking authentic Australian beer  ;D 

My computer specs will change in sync with how many beers had. The more beer, the more powerfull  CPU I'll be getting.  My DoDo 206 blades will be slapping the air harder than a beaver slapping his tail after spotting a keg of beer. Australian beer that is. A three beer CPU is a Q9650. A 5 beer CPU is 17 975. And a 7 beer CPU is a i7 980x. 8 beers time to go to bed. Actually I do not drink like I let on, as drinking and flying is dangerous.

Archived