Sabre FMS (1950's style) into Tamworth

gibo

Hi,

In the 1950's FMS stood for Fly My Self. Flying the Tamworth 30R ILS approach from the real approach chart with steam guages is really a challenge without all the computerised Nav equipment in modern aircraft, but pilots once had to use this equipment and they used it well.

I took off from ORBX Tamworth in the Section8 Sabre and set NDB to freq 341 (even setting freq is a challenge :-\) and VOR/DME to freq 116.0. I set the heading bug to 310 which is the lead to turn into the ILS heading of 301deg. I set the Sabre to show DME and RMI and took off from Tamworth. I can see why Tamworth is a major training facility for airline, ADF and private flying. Fairly flat country, great weather all year round (except in this video  ;D) and all the Nav Aids to practice on.

Set everything ahead because there is a high work load scanning the instruments and checking the chart. There is no co-pilot to help you.

I took off from YSTW on Runway 30R and turned left to fly along the 12mile radial from Tamworth DME at 5,000ft as the chart shows. To maintain the 12mile distance, keep the ADF on the RMI pointing to the 9 o'clock position. Imagine the RMI pointer as a string or a control line on a model aircraft flying on a radial around the airport. If you get less than 12DME turn slightly away from the airport until the needle moves to the 8 o'clock position until 12 DME is reached. If you get more than 12 DME turn towards the airport until the RMI needle points to the 10 o'clock position.

When on the lead heading line of 310 turn to intercept the ILS.

This may be a boring video because there are no bells and whistles but it keeps your mind to 100% concentration.

Please note that I cheated a little with the "P" key. Even the modern day FMS does not have a "P" key  :-[

Hopefully with the low visibility, nobody saw the short landing  :-[

Archived